Friday, May 18, 2007

A Bicycling Parable

God. You know the dude. He really tests you at times, and today was one of those times for me. He’s got a pretty good his sense of humor, too. Now, I’m a big practical joker myself, a trait I inherited from the Pfaff side of the family. I forgot that God is part Pfaff.

First, just to let you know, I am not what you would call a “regular” church go’er, and this blog is not going to be a sermon, but it is a good lesson. Have you ever heard the story of Job? He’s the guy God and Satan made a bet over, to see what it would take for him to take the Lord’s name in vain. Man, they threw everything at that guy except for the kitchen sink, and he still stuck with God. And he was rewarded. The moral of the story; stay on God’s course and everything will turn out well. When you are being tested it’s pretty hard to follow that advice.

Here’s the prologue: Last night Christa called and asked whether I could be in Saginaw by 3:30 on Thursday. I told her no problem, and I may even beat her there. But I forgot God was listening. Dang. And He said, “Ho, Ho. Confidence breeds overconfidence.” And the next day’s destiny was written.

Thursday: My phone rang at 7:00am. It was Hawkeye, and he gave me an excuse for not sticking around and getting his picture in front of the Capitol with Rufus and me (something about “going home sick”.) He asked me to have breakfast with him in the House of Representatives office building, which meant a 10 mile round trip back into downtown Lansing instead of heading north. “Could you be here at 8:30am?” What would you do? Call it delay #1.

So I got to the office building at 8:25am and we went to breakfast at a House Office Building with a big, funky pedestrian walkway. The cafeteria was right next to the entrance and it was practically empty, so I walked my bike inside and placed it in an isolated corner. We were in the breakfast line, talking with a State Representative about my bike trip, when a security guard instructed me to remove the cycle, by orders of his superior. I pleaded my case; “It’s 40 degrees and gusting, my bike is 70 pounds and it can’t fit in the bike racks with the large packs on it; all of my belongings including my computer are on it; you can hardly see it backed in behind the ATM machine.” The supervisor’s reply (in a nasal voice) “Bike’s are not allowed in the building, no exceptions.” As I struggled in freezing temperatures to lock my bicycle to a light post, thoughts of “What a weenie” ran through my mind. But I returned to have a large stack of pancakes with Hawkeye. Call it a warm up hassle. A sign of things to come.

We didn’t find out Hawkeye’s real name was Jim Stansell until we knew him for five years. He’s the last remnant of the rock and poll era; a long haired, REO Speedwagon roadie. This picture shows the new, domesticated Hawkeye. His daughter Caitlyn is graduating from Okemos and going to Purdue, and my daughter Andrea is graduating from Gaylord and going to Northern. We concluded their success must have been the result of a strong paternal influence.

A lobbyist introduced us to Kevin Elsenheimer, our State Representative, as he passed by and he promised to make a contribution to the Kyle Casey Memorial Scholarship Fund. (See May postings.) The lobbyist who introduced us took our photograph, but you know how those lobbyists are, the picture didn’t turn out.

After breakfast I plodded north directly into a 25mph wind, in 40 degree weather. If you have never experienced this before, there is NO WAY to describe it. I shook my fist and yelled in vain “STOP! PLEEEEASE STOP!” but the wind blew on. When I had a pit stop in Dewitt (don’t forget I backtracked through all the pitted streets of Lansing), one of my rear spokes was busted – AGAIN! Call it Test #1.

The convenience store dudes knew there were bicycle shops in East Lansing (10 miles backward) and I found one on the internet in Owosso (30 miles forward.) My decision, go back and make a 20 mile round trip to get back where I was, or to try and make it to Owosso on a broken spoke. Remember what I told Chirsta……… So I called the House of Wheels bike shop in Owosso and told them I’d be there about 2:00, and I called Christa and told her I still might be in time to see my niece Lauren play in the Hemlock High Soccer game.

People who know me call me an optimist, but as I forced myself against the wind, looking out for every big crack in the road and praying other spokes would hold on, it was pretty difficult to use the power of positive thinking. Then I figured it out – Ah, ha! I’m being tested! Good one, God! You caught me getting a little cocky. Fair and square. You got me.” And man, I felt a ton better after I figured that out. The wind seemed to slow down, my bike was riding pretty good, and I even got to ride on a freshly paved road in a construction area that wasn’t open for traffic yet.

Just as I entered Owosso, my bike suddenly slammed to a halt. The back derailer had blown up into a mangled mess. NOOOOOO! Test #2, wouldn’t you say. I thought I had it all figured out, but you never really do, do you? That was pretty tricky, God, kind of like something like Uncle Norm would think of doing. What could I do? I walked the 2 ½ miles to House of Wheels, whistling along the way, discovered they did not carry a replacement derailer, and the nearest store that did was in Saginaw.

God has a plan, doesn’t he? He wouldn't just mess with such a nice guy like me without coming through in the clutch, would he? No, it all worked out just fine.

Christa was in Saginaw, visiting Cliff and Julie after a Meier and Associates Advisory Board Meeting. I requested and she heartily agreed to buy the bike part in Saginaw, drive it down to Owosso, and bring me back for a nice evening at Cliff’s place. Julie and Cliff both offered to drive me to Owosso Friday morning to continue my trek. Plans looked pretty dang good again. Then a recumbent cyclist named Bob Flinn bought me a double whooper and large flurry at McDonalds waiting for Christa. He was wearing bright bicycle jersey and looked a little devilish with his mustache and goatee, kind of like mine. Hmmmmm. Does that mean something? Christa mistook him for me when she stopped in the drive through to pick me up.

The evening ended up in a plethora of joy, having a great dinner and sharing stories with Cliff and Julie, Clifford and his beau Sara, Lauren, and Christa. Christa had to return home because Gerta’s Draperies is busy, busy, busy. We watched the Red Wings playoff game, Pistons Playoff game and Tigers game all night, and I thought, this is what heaven is like. Then I thought, there must be a lesson in this day. Right, Job?

Note: I just use the pronoun "he" for God for literary purposes. I'm not trying to start a gender war.
Second note: I might not be exactly right about the story f Job, but my brother Joe verified I was on the right track. Forgive me if the details aren't totally correct....

Other note: So far, even with this little "setback", my bike trip has lasted 2,225 miles. I'm riding today but will take my first day off tomorrow to play golf at The Dream in West Branch. Oh, yeah.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your awesome Charlie ! Enjoy the golf.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

We are in Ohio, went to concert at the new Van Wert High, hanging in and making cookies and visiting Saddie the dog while everyone is at school or jobs. Hope everything goes better today Charlie. Have fun golfing tomorrow and we look forward to seeing you on Monday. Your #1 fans, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn, no fair, we were first, but you used and anonymous and posted ahead of us - what say you, charlie, who was first. MOM

Anonymous said...

OOps!! Must be the Pfaff in me, MOM

Anonymous said...

Charlie nice to have met you and I will see you this summer maybe when I am in gaylord on the Michigander tour . RansRider AKA Bob Flynn

Anonymous said...

Okay Charlie it must be the Bono in me, I just want to be in the comments no matter what place I come in..check my late comment in yesterdays blog (1 day behind). Katie is being confirmed Saturday and Jim's birthday is also Saturday. We will be coming home Sunday and travel up to Gaylord on Monday morn. Phew!1 These 75 yrs are catching up to me. Hey no more bike problems because you are in the home stretch ok? Have a fun golf date, you deserve it. As always cycle safe, enjoy the people and scenery. Love, God Bless. Dad

Anonymous said...

Your right! , Mom is always 1st, sorry!
I'm still trying to live down the (Christa life partner thing, from Lady Di ) Christa knows what I ment! "It is a honor to have such a great person to share lifes adventures with!"
I have been married for 28 years, and we are a team, one picks-up where the other leaves off, always trying to be supporting to each other.
And, what a team the " Bono Crew" are. You have to be bursting with pride! Hug Charlie for me on Monday!
Love Dawn

Anonymous said...

Charlie!
Man - what a day! Peaks and valleys - that's life right? You might've been cursed because you didn't make the choice to go back to East Lansing into MSU territory! (Right, Augusta?) Sorry- I had to get that Michigan State plug in there somehow. Next stop - the cabin on Forest Lake! A much deserved golf break. That will be something good. Take care brother!
Love - Cathy

Anonymous said...

P.S.
YES!! REO SPEEDWAGON, MY 1st concert, Traverse City ,Civic Center.
skipped school(bad girl) ,and went with Dave (my hubby)
Great Memories!!!

Dawn

Lady Di said...

Good Morning,
look what I get for sleepin in again..8th place
Tomorrow morning bright and early I am runnin the 5K at Bay Harbor I would be lucky to get 8th place in my age division (not tellin that)
Great job Charlie
Bono-Bono motto: something bad something good-still workin for ya
Don't ya love The Christa, you are so lucky and fortunate that she is your life partner.
Don't ya despise those fellows who have one job that they percieve to be a position of power-no bikes- he probably thought you we Al-Quiada with a nice big pack on your bike and some little device ready to blow when the first person admired your sleek, fine ride and wanted one just like it.
I am now also a little concerned
"could I possibly be part Bono" cause I have to comment too... papa jo..no, jk
You know that-- my lucky life partner is also referred to as Papa Joe.
Moms are always first, I concur
Ok, Ok, back to Charlie..
It is supposed to be a beautiful day so it should be great on the golf course, while you are golfin Charlie don't be thinkin: I should be ridin cause of mild wind and sunshine.
I shoveled the snow today and you shouldn't have to worry about the big snow banks when you get to Gaylord, a bit of it is supposed to melt today.
(maybe on Monday I will have an opportunitiy to meet Papa Joe and Mom) your #1 fans.
darn those red wings My prayer: safe travels, wind at your back and a hole in one, or two (if you are bob barker)
lots of Gaylord-Focker lovin to ya,
Lady Di

Lady Di said...

darn it 9th place that is what i get for being a long winded typer

Lady Di said...

10th place yikes type faster next time will ya

Anonymous said...

HEY CHARLIE MON,

REMEMBER THE DOOBIE BROTHERS? WELL, KEEP ON RUNNIN' (IN YOUR CASE BIKIN') CUZ NOT MUCH FURTHER NOW. I'M SURE THE ALPENFEST BURGERMEISTER IS IN YOUR VISION!
YOUR ALMOST HOME & A DREAM FULFILLED! AWESOME, MON!

KATHY A.

Claire said...

Charlie,

Thanks for the talk tonight. You are not only inspiring but crazy inspiring (the good kind of crazy!)I hope one day to step outside my comfort zone and do something crazy too. (Maybe we will do that parachute jump together! AAAAAAAAHHH!) Love you lots brother, have fun and stay safe.

Claire Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!
Man what a day u had, it kinda seems like Michigan is giving u a hard time compared to all the other states, ha. Well I thought of u yesterday, it was ride your bike to work day, even though your riding yours from your second home, I think thats a little better.Enjoy golfing tomorrow its going to be a beautiful day.Stay safe cousin your almost home.Hey have u seen any of my comments?, just wondering cause im always the last one late at night.Hey Jim "HAPPY B-DAY" cousin, 43 now right.O and Cathy boo-hoo to state and GO BLUE! anyway take care guys
Phyllis