Thursday, May 17, 2007

State of Affairs

Maybe it was the big stack of 12 grain pancakes with strawberries. Maybe it was the new tire and another new spoke in my rear wheel. Maybe it was the nice tailwind. Maybe it was the possibility of taking with Governor Granholm about increasing education funding, specifically for teaching positions in northern Michigan. Whatever it was, I rode my fastest time of the entire trip today. I am proud as a pickle of my average speed of 16.1 miles per hour, whatever that means.

I left my bicycle at the Blue Care Network office last night, and when I returned I found that I had busted another spoke and had a deflated tire. Even though I still feel great, my bicycle may feel otherwise. It’s probably happy to see this trip ending, just like a good plow horse during tilling season. Once again, luck was on my side, because the Village Bike Shop was only five miles down the road, and right on my way to my next destination, Lansing. I disconnected the rear brakes so my wobbly tire would rotate and arrived there in no time flat. It took about an hour for Ryan, Tom, Amber and Brian to fix my spoke and inspect my bike, which also had a bald rear tire. I can’t imagine how it got that way… They put on a new heavy duty, armadillo tire (what! armadillos again!) that I imagine will last for my entire next trip through South America. Just kidding.

I had a nice lunch and relaxed chance to check my e-mail and read your blog comments (which I love, by the way) and finally got on the road at 1:30pm. My buddy and best man at my wedding, Ralph Basile (I call him Rufus), planned on meeting me in Lansing at 5:00pm, so I kicked it into high gear and flew like the wind. Who could have figured I still had the gas to fire on all cylinders? And I’m not even paying $3.50 a gallon for it.

We were also going to meet our college friend Hawkeye, who is an economist for the State of Michigan, but we didn’t hook up because he didn’t answer his phone after 4:30. This means one of two things: either the bureaucrats are now working bankers hours (actually an increase, if I’m not mistaken), or he is camped out in the Capital as the legislature and Jennifer Granholm struggle to make a last minute budget compromise, and they seek his advice. Either way, it was too bad we couldn’t hook up.

I pulled in front of the Capital Dome at 5:00 sharp, and Rufus arrived right down the street at the same time. We met in front of the Capital, which was really cool, considering both of us were Political Science majors. Check out the picture; didn’t it make an awesome photo shoot?

Rufus took me out for a few beers and dinner at the Tavern on the Square Restaurant down the street afterward. The food there was good, and good for you; the Oberon beer was even better. I kept asking our waitress Jessica to tell the chef to make my orders extra big, and she came through in the clutch. Good, good, girl.

Rufus traveled all the way from St. Clair Shores to meet me, and I really appreciated his company. It would have been a real letdown to spend one of my last evenings alone, and as usual, Rufus provided excellent entertainment. He set the dates for our next Many Man March Golf Outing, so if you want to join us write them down. August 23rd through August 26th. He wants to golf in Gaylord again this year, and who can blame him. E-mail me if you want to join us and stay tuned for details.

After dinner I decided to check into a hotel for the evening. There are plenty right around the Capital, but most start with names like Radisson or Hilton, and end in dollar signs. Call me cheap, call me a camper, call me what you want, but I just wanted a place to crash, so I took off north on Old US 27 and eventually found the Town and Country Motel, which was built in the 1940’s ad still has the original furniture. Now, I don’t want to say that it’s a “fleabag”, but it makes the Bates Motel look pretty inviting. The owner gave me two discounts; one for paying cash and the other for paying for the whole night instead of hourly. Needless to say, it fit my needs perfectly. Tomorrow I’m traveling to Cliff and Julie’s place in Saginaw, and I hope they give me the same deal.

11 comments:

cuzgrace said...

Charlie.....Omg I get the first prize today..
Love the stories..
Keep them coming
Be Safe
Grace and Bill

KNITWHIT said...

The sun's shining in Gaylord this morning, Charlie...Safe rest of the ride!
Maureen

Anonymous said...

We are heading back to OHIO, Van Wert for Katie's Confirmation on the 19th (Jim's Birthday) OH my - I think May maybe our biggest bd month along with Sept & Dec JUst for you bloggers the Bono's have a very big family Yeh Man!! But you can bet your bottom dollar Dad and I will be in Gaylord to see Charlie arrive, wouldn't miss that, as you can tell we are big fans of our kids abd spouses and grandkids - keeps us out of trouble and very busy, but we love it. MOM

Anonymous said...

Chaz: You are really putting your bike to the test! Looking forward to seeing Mom and Dad Bono in Gaylord on Monday (and Charlie too, of course) Safe travels everyone. Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz!
Nice shot of the capitol building. Hopefully those are your last bike repairs before heading into home sweet home. Say "hi" to Cliff and Julie for me and enjoy Day 28(?) as you do each and every day!
Love- Cathy

CSNews said...

In the interest of full disclosure, The Tavern on the Square had outdoor seating, which the management and staff were delighted to see us choose, given Charlie's attire and bike.

Buying Bono a meal reminded me of the scene in Groundhog Day (is that movie on TV everyday on at least one channel as some sort of inside industry joke?!) where Bill Murray buys the bum all the food he can eat, and then more.

Our waitress Jessica was very patient and attentive to Charlie's obvious energetic state of mind. Not sure any portion provided was larger than normal, but Jessica was not going to say so.

I would say that Jessica, and other staff and patrons at the restaurant treated Charlie with the same level of trepidation. You could read it in their eyes, "Biked from Florida?! This guy is capable of doing anything! I just hope he doesn't do it while I'm here, Better be nice to him."

My parting words to Charlie summarize my general thinking on Charlie's adventure:

"Charlie, I am proud of you and scared for you all at the same time."

Demonstrating his customary sense of self-awareness, Charlie agreed with me!

Lady Di said...

Wow,
I hope you had the chance to give that governor the what for while you were there, not only funds for education, but imagine this ----specifically-Physical Education is gettin hit hard, (whats up with Math and Science anyway!!) and you showin physical activity at its finest, just ask those poor teachers and students at St. Mary, God help them, (thier monies aren't quite in the hands of the professional politicians-just those who think they are) anyway off the political bandwagon and onto the Charlie-mon,
you should see what they are doin on 27 South anticipating your arrival. They already have the orange barrels by the side of the rode. CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Greta Van Strusten AND Geraldo Rivera are all in town (rooms at the Hilton) settin up.
Make sure you S-S and S in Grayling or Lewiston or whichever way you are pedeling in so that you are prepared.
(dodge the snow flakes)
My prayer again today, tomorrow and as has been since you started...safe travels to you and the wind still at your back.
RIDE CHARLIE RIDE....
or to quote one of your earlier bolggers "keep on keepin on"
lots of Gaylord lovin to ya
Lady Di

Joe said...

Chaz-O-Matic!

You are closing in on a defining moment! Stay safe and enjoy the last fews days of your journey. Prayers are with you!!

See ya soon...ride like the wind Forest.
Joe & Gina

Anonymous said...

g

Anonymous said...

One big hello from the bowlers in North Carolina.Thought of your trip as we drove here only took 16 hours pretty good for 12 women and we didn't throw anyone out.Riding a bike from Fla?????Can't believe you did it!You are our hero.We are having a few for you.

See you monday.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Good morning Charlie,
Mom & i are in Van Wert OH and it's Friday morn, Went to see Katies Choral recital last night and I didn't have a chance to do my comments yesterday. Good riding and good cheer to you. Hi Joe,Gina and all you Blog commenters. Charlie stay safe, golf repectable on Saturday and God speed. Love, dad