Sunday, May 20, 2007

Phasing Into Reality… The Easy Way

Christa is all worried that I’ll be in for a big letdown when I return to “life as normal” in Gaylord. There’s a triple dose of ant-depressants waiting for me, just in case. I think I’ll be busy enough; producing the Gaylord Community Productions play “Aladdin”, looking for a teaching job, working on our yard, getting ready for Andrea’s graduation party, working as a golf ranger at the Black Forest, looking for a teaching job (did I already say that?) But Christa is right, as usual. So today I started phasing my way back into a normal lifestyle.

I ate a big stack of pancakes at Wheeler’s Restaurant in Standish first thing in the morning. (I think it was called Wheeler’s – let me know if I’m wrong.) I found out that I am the sole surviving bicyclist who ever rode on M-13. Maybe it’s because I try to be invisible sometimes….. Anyway, they were a pretty lively morning crew and I told them the Bay City Times was doing an article about my trip. After breakfast, I went to post my blog at the internet café next store, and lo and behold, the owner of the breakfast place tracked me down, marching in with a couple of copies of the article. I love small towns.

Here’s where the normal routine comes in. I cycled from Standish to Dennis and Cathy’s cottage at Forest Lake (near Alger), took a shower. A few minutes later my brother John and his buddy Mike Bostic came rolling into the driveway to pick me up, so we could meet Dennis and his friends at The Dream golf course. Mike pulled off his dream last year. He’s 43 years ago and just enlisted in the Army National Guard. He was the oldest recruit in a class of 173, and now he’s a scout with the possibility of serving in Afghanistan or Iraq next year. Way to go, Bostic! “Call for Fire! Fire in the Hole! Fire for Effect!”

Saturday golfing; that’s normal, isn’t it. The weather was pretty nice for 8 ½ holes, but coming into the 9th green it looked like the scene from Caddyshack where the priest is having the round of his life. The rain was blowing sideways, and you could almost parasail with your rain jacket if you were standing at the right angle. John, Mike and I decided to get a rain check for the second nine. The Findley foursome played on into the rainy, 55 degree evening.

Now, let me tell you something about people from Ohio. They have an inferiority complex when it comes to Michigan, I think; like they always have to prove something. I know that we were warm, dry, enjoying the cottage and putting down a few beers. They said they had a good time too, but when we met them the famous Hank’s restaurant at 9:30pm they looked pretty sad. Real sad. John and I were going to sing a little Karaoke after dinner, but we felt sorry for them and decided to just return to the cottage and take their money playing Texas Hold ‘Em.

Worked out for me and Walton. He was the first man out the first game, and he ended up dealing most of the night. But he finished second the next game and broke even. Dean Hunter and I split the first pot. I was the first man out the second game, (must be a Bono thing – big risk, big reward theory) and Jeff won the pot. Dennis played his usual conservative style, but we could never really figure out his other buddy, Gerry Slezak. My bet is that nobody ever has.

It’s Sunday morning, and I just made a big pancake and egg breakfast for the golfers, while I listened to my favorite Frank Sinatra CD. I even washed the dishes. That’s another dose of reality. Dean found some morel mushrooms right off the deck, so you could call the scrambled eggs gourmet, if you want. I did. Bono men have a hereditary thing about breakfast, and it felt mighty fine cooking and eating it.

I think I’m ready to go home. I’m pretty sure I won’t a have a mental letdown. And I’m totally sure I’ll be making breakfast there.

8 comments:

Lady Di said...

It's Lady Di yahoo can't believe i made it

Anonymous said...

We arrived home from Van Wert OH. @ 12:15 PM and are catching up on some snooze time, doing the laundry getting ready for our trip up north. Okay you deserved a day on the golf course and of course you are upholding the Bono men tradition (per my tutorism)of cooking a great breakfast to start the day. Jim did these last 3 days in Ohio and I was religated to just buttering the english muffins and he did the rest (excelent job) as I'm sure yours was too. The Dennis I'm sure was an excelent host and one thing I observed was that no golf scores were mentioned in your latest blog...hmmmm!! Hope your ride to Roscommon is an easy one an Mom & I will see you in Gaylord Monday. Cycle smoothly enjoy the scenery with the wind at your back and God Speed son.
Love, Dad & Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz!
Smart move on ditching the rest of the golf round. The only way I play golf is NICE weather. I'm glad you guys had a good time. It's good you picked up the breakfast duties, too. That'll get you back in the swing of things at home for sure!
Take care - 1 more day of your adventure!
Love - Cathy

cuzgrace said...

Hey Charlie
Enjoy the next couple of days..soon it will seem like a dream..Bill and I went out west for 5 months last Nov-March..and The full inpact of all the places we stayed and people we met didn't really hit us till we were home a month or so..It is almost like you have to catch your breath and plant your feet on the "home" ground for a while.
We are going to send a check this week to your donation..we hope you are proud of your self, as all us are.
Now talking about "THE BONO MEN" cooking you know of corse I know alittle about that. My Dad your Uncle Sal could cook....He was best know for his Kick Butt Meatballs..well I have some good news..after years of trying...I did it!!! I finally got it ...just like dad's!!!...Oboy just saying that..get's me alittle choked up.
So when you get home and feel the need to make some good ole Pasta and meatballs call me. I'll Share..
Be Safe and Well
Grace

Anonymous said...

charlie it was a blast as usual to be around you this past weekend and to be to the ending point of your trip. what you did is OUTSTANDING!!!!.over the weekend we both talked about how i wouldent do what you did and in return you said the same of me. it sure is a reflection of your never to old to to do a dream but damb it charlie im 37 not 42 i think you put in there. lol. i sure hope you filled something inside you that will allways be yours and yours only, not to be selfish but what you did is very very motivating.and you know charlie, this is the very first blog that i have ever wrote a comment on and looking at my underskilled typing it might be my last ,lol anyways it was great to see you and what a great goal you havedid for yourself and the boy that did it for you.doug says hi as i type away.be safe . scouts out!!!! spc bostic army nat guard

Lady Di said...

Charlie-Mon
Did you ever see the Jimmy Buffet interview on 60 minutes.....He says this "On Friday night millions of people idolize me, come Saturday morning, I am just the pancake maker" or something to that effect. Everyone should know his/her place in society.
The guys ARE the best breakfast makers in the whole wide world...I admit and know my place with regards to breakfast...
remember this come Sunday A.M. at the eco-challenge.
I also need to confess that the golf/poker skills blog just didn't have the same effect for me as the biking blog. You may not be the only one having a hard time adjusting.
I was happy to be quick at the draw this morning on the blog, but again confess I didn't have time to read or absorb the whole blog...apologies
apologies to Papa Joe and Mom I know that isn't fair so I give up my spot cause after all MOM's ARE #1.
Again I pray that your last FEW miles are safe, with the wind at your back --- except that it is so rare for the wind to blow up here from the south --- that I wouldn't count on that...
plus it was 35 degrees this morning, so good luck with that temperature issue..
I did notice that tomorrow has the possibility of no percipitation, so maybe those snowflakes won't slow you down.
God Bless You and all you have given to so many from this experience..Obviously it has been so much more than just a bike trip from Marco to Gaylord.
Thanks Charlie-Mon, you are truly a gift in many ways.
I think you could pen a book that would be worthy of publication, Simon and Schuster or whoever they are might not think so but they don't know the Charlie-Mon.
Safe Travels, always-- no matter what the means.
Lots of lovin to you today and every day.....
Lady Di

Lady Di said...

Mr. Bono,
This is Geena, Lady Di's daughter (age 12)
Looking forward to your arrival in Gaylord and I am looking forward to the eco-challenge where you will be telling us all about your bike ride.
Geena

Unknown said...

Chaz, it seems just like yesterday that you were here in Chitown eating tapas and talking about this trip. 2200 miles later... Wow. Great stuff man. Good luck with the last leg or two - I have been honored to be along for the ride in spirit (through your blog). I have blocked out time to attend the Many Man March. God speed, be safe and an extra hug for Andrea when you see her to celebrate her graduation.