Sunday, May 20, 2007

Homeward Bound

I’ll be home this evening, back at Gaylord, sitting in my favorite Lazy Boy, watching the season finale of 24. That’s just fine. A man can only take so much adventure at one time and for me, that time has come.

Right now I am sitting in Loren Preuss’ living room, watching National Treasure and drinking home brewed beers. Loren was my “host teacher” when I student taught at Roscommon High School this spring, but I prefer to call him my mentor. A mentor has an investment in their protégé’s success, and imparts wisdom that may not always fit into the typical mold. Loren is my age, has many of the same interests, and much more experience teaching students about social studies and life. Saginaw Valley State University made a perfect match, my first since meeting Christa. And we all know that one turned out happily ever after.

This is a regular family night with Loren, his wife Wendy, Emily and Justin. It’s nice, relaxing chance to just sit and talk. Given my past month of “excitements” it’s a pleasure to enjoy such a peaceful evening. I look forward to many more with my own family.

Earlier today I met my brother-in-law Walt Leibold in at Loggers Restaurant in West Branch for a bite to eat. I had the big burrito. PERFECT. My Precious. Afterward I went to the Java Junction to post my blog; once I explained what I was doing they told me they heard I was coming through town. What? That stuff better stop when I get back home or I’ll be in some real trouble. Please don’t GPS me.

The sun started shining in West Branch and made for a beautiful trip. I almost decided to go to the Kirtland Warbler Festival instead of biking directly to Roscommon, but I came to my sense just in time. As I close in on Gaylord, the landmarks become more and more familiar. Christa and I spent our wedding night at the Est-Wood Motel in St. Helen in 1981. Back then it didn't exactly offer the typical "honeymoon suite", but I understand the new owners have worked hard to make it a pretty nice little lodge. And it’s for sale, honey.

Tomorrow morning I’ll be visiting with students and teachers at Roscommon High School, some of whom have commented on this blog. Most didn’t believe me when I told them I cycling across the country, so I have to rub it in thoroughly. I hope they have learned some lessons about planning, preparation, persistence and problem-solving from my experience.

My trip tomorrow will take me through Grayling and north on Old US27 into Gaylord. I should be arriving about 3:00pm, but as I reminded my wife, there are some things you can’t necessarily plan on when you are cycling – the biggest of which is time. I’ll be stopping at Gerta’s Draperies, where Chirsta has a shopping list of items to pick up on my way home. I will love doing her shopping. I love doing her errands. I love life. And I’ll see you tomorrow.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really cool that my family got to be a part of your biking adventure! Hearing about your experiences on your trip is really interesting, and I'm glad you're sharing them with everyone through this blog! :) I'm looking forward to getting through the rest of them! Anyway, good luck with your final biking day tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

good morning Chas,
We are home after being at Jim's and Denise's house and are getting ready tojourney up to Gaylord country. Ride safe, breath in the fresh air, enjoy the ride, smile, and cycle safe. God Bless, Dad

Anonymous said...

Charlie, We are packing and will be leaving shortly to be in Gaylord when you pull into town. We will spend the night in Andrea's room and talk about the last month. Oh my, what will dad do now - no more blogs. Hope you have enjoyed the last month. It has been an adventure and the whole family and last of friends have enjoyed it with you. And I am sure that friends that know you only by reading your blogs and met you along the way. What a trip! Welcome home. MOM

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Charlie! Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!
HOME SWEET HOME. Home is where the heart is... You know, all that home stuff. Enjoy it brother! You had an awesome adventure and the memories will be with you always (especially because you set up this awesome blog - you'll never forget it!).
Enjoy the Gaylord celebration...
Love you brother-
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Charlie,
Welcome back to Gaylord !
I wish I could be there for your get together at Gerta's, But you bet I will be in spirit. The smile on your face will say it all!!!
You can always keep the blog , maybe just fill us in on you and the family once or twice a month, everyone would love that.
Note: To Sue, We know Shane,& his family. He is a super nice kids, really kind, and giving. Kyle would like him too! I will be well appreciated I know that. (SMILE!)
Love, DAWN

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Charlie. It has been a real joy following your journey. You are the best. I am going to be at the end of my street to try and catch you for a welcome home wave. Take care,
Robin

Anonymous said...

Charlie… You are the “MAN”. Your trip has been mind-boggling and inspiring to say the least. I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. There are so many aspects of your life and so much knowledge you bring to the classroom, I want to be one of your future students. I feel so lucky to have met you during our student teaching experiences at RHS and so enamored with following your aspiration of riding cross country. I wish you the best of luck with finding a teaching position and with life in general. Welcome home. Darrell

Joe said...

Welcome home Charlie!! Enjoy the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction you have earned--what an incredible physical feat!

Relax, kick-back and cherish some well deserved quality time with Christa, Andrea & Adam.

Anonymous said...

OH Charlie, I am posting the first blog for Monday. I was just at your welcome home get together, how cool, the paper, the Mayor, friends and especially family. It was great to see you. Hope you enjoyed your little welcome home parade. This will be a day to remember for all. Now it is time to sitback and relax,, o.k. that is long enough, Andrea is graduating friday, theres no time to rest., maybe after her party... Take Care, Welcome Home and enjoy. The Cleaning Lady

Lady Di said...

Greetings.
The welcome home gathering was absolutey the best it could be. Nice Job Christa, Charlie is lucky and fortunate to have The Christa as his life partner.
What an awesome proclamation read by the mayor- written by the other "papa joe"
Taken totally from reading Charlie's detailed blogs.
Great job Charlie!!!
Watchin Charlie comin off that overpass with lights a flashin gave me goosebumps.
I was proud to know Charlie and be a part of his arrival.
I am sure there wasn't a dry eye as Mayor Gladys Solokis read a proclamation from the City of Gaylord. Very deserving Charlie and what wonderful words for Kyle as well.
As I mentioned to Mom Bono this blog couldln't go without saying that my plate of treats (rice krispie treats) was the first plate empty.
apologies....apologies
Rock On Charlie and as life moves forward
always to you and yours
safe travels and the wind at your back
Lady Di

Lady Di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Charlie,

My sincere congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. It was a pleasure to have been able to follow you on your journey. I hope you have some time to relax and enjoy your success. You made a wonderful contribution to many peoples’ lives. Enjoy your family!

Best regards,
Barry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including all of us on your journey...it was an awesome one! Imagine how many stories you will have for all your future students. They are going to love you - they would be crazy not to!

I wish you many more wonderful adventures...

Tina Collins

32 degrees said...

Charlie ! Welcome home ! I need a sub tomorrow, you interested? just kidding, sleep in and enjoy a big breakfast. PS. how much weight did you lose?