Monday, May 14, 2007

Riding with my lil' Sister





This was the first day I had a cycling partner, and we had such a good time I may try to recruit another for the rest of the trip. My sister Cathy wanted to join me for a day, and I couldn’t be prouder of her. She has run two marathons with me, so I knew she could handle it, but I think she performed even beyond her own expectations with minimal training and on a new bicycle. We originally set our goal as reaching Michigan, but soon realized that we’d have to bike almost 100 miles to make it. We ended up cycling from Van Wert, OH to the Bixler Lake Campground in Kendallville, IN, a grand total of about 75 miles. I’m especially pleased that she experienced what an “ordinary” day on my adventure was like.

Jim and I started off the day by dropping my rear tire off with Ed Reinemeyer at the Van Wert Bicycle Shop. Ed showed us that there was no possible way we could have replaced yesterday’s broken spoke, proving once again that knowledge and the right tools trump willpower. He fixed my tire and instead of charging me, asked that I apply the money to Kyle’s Memorial Scholarship Fund. Thanks, Ed, for opening up your shop on at 8am on Mother’s Day morning just for me, and then donating your services. Jim promises to buy everyone in the family a new bicycle in gratitude.

Mike “ZZ Top” Roop cruised past the bike shop on his big bike (a nice Harley Davidson) to make sure we woke up on time and got the tire fixed, which was really cool. Then, while Ed was working his magic, I even had a chance to get my Mom and wife Mother’s Day Teddy Bears. Of course, like any good son/husband, I said I purchased them two weeks ago in Mississippi.

Cathy and I were on the road before 10:30 Mass, and when we stopped a car for directions they asked us if we were Jim’s brother. That could only happen in Van Wert, don’t you think?

We met a number of interesting people along the route, but none more interesting than Denise and Lindsey Helmer, who were working in a hometown café called Jitterz in Auburn, IN. Denise open it on September 11th last year with two friends. It had always been their dream to open a café with homemade ice cream. And you have to live out your dreams, don’t you. Lindsey was helping her mom out for Mother;s Day – what a great daughter! They told us about the Bixler Lake Campground and we were off and running (so to speak.) Denise also gave us her address since we would be riding by her house, so I could moon her husband, but we never found it. Thank goodness.

Dennis (Cathy’s husband) arrived with submarine sandwiches about 9:30pm and we sat around the campfire talking until they had to leave. Some people have to work tomorrow.

Here is my rough schedule for the rest of my adventure. It will not be much like to previous three weeks; instead of meeting strangers and sleeping in remote cemeteries, I will be traveling through Michigan visiting friends and relatives. Once again, these plans are tentative. If you want to talk call me on my cell phone (989-350-9286) or send me an e-mail at charliebono@hotmail.com.

Monday, May 14: I will be visiting Kalamazoo College (to see if they will print excerpts of my blog in the quarterly alumni magazine Lux Esto) and spending the eving with my Uncle Larry.

Tuesday May 15: I plan to cycle to Grand Rapids and visit my friends at Blue Care Network, whom I hear are taking up a collection for Kyle’s Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Wednesday, May 16: I will be traveling to Okemos through the state capital to spend the night with my college buddy Hawkeye.

Thursday, May 17th: On to Saginaw to spend the night with Cliff and Julie Leibold. My brother-in-law and his family.

Friday and Saturday, May 18 and 19th: To Dennis and Cathy Keppers’ cottage in Alger, just to chill out and play a round of golf at the Dream. Call me if you want to join us!

Sunday, May 20th: Spend the night in Roscommon

Monday, May 21st: Go to Roscommon High School in the morning to visit with “my” students, then finally, after a long venture, return to Gaylord.

Addendum from my sister, Cathy Keppers, about our day together:

This was a great day – very fun and very exhausting! (But, definitely memorable). Amateur cyclist note: We went 55 miles before I realized I was shifting wrong – doh! Once Charlie showed me how to shift, the last 20 miles went a lot smoother! How in the world has Charlie been doing this for 24 days??!! I am so happy that everything came together so I could experience 1 day in the life of Charlie’s bike adventure. Stopping in small towns, meeting a lot of really nice people – it was a really great life experience. But I wouldn’t want to get up and do it again tomorrow! I did decide that it would be really cool to bike through some of the National Parks on my list, though.

Thought for the Day: Life is about the journey, not the destination!

(I put that in there because I couldn’t make my Sturgis, MI goal!)

14 comments:

Lady Di said...

yeah, it has been my goal to be the first comment of the day and today is the day yahoo for you

Joe said...

Glad to hear that you two had such a rewarding day. Charlie, your adventure is near complete. What will you do for an encore?

Gina & will be discussing possibly meeting you at Cathy & Dennis's place and getting in some golf & R&R.

Joe

Lady Di said...

now I can get past tryin to be the first comment of the day and congratulate you on hitting the home stretch. Enjoy your leisurely (?) ride home....we are anxiously awaiting your arrival "up nort"
again my prayer for you is safe travels and the wind at your back
lots of lovin to ya
Lady Di

Lady Di said...

cause i have nothing better to do all day but be with charlie, i am back...regarding follow your dreams please try to check out a blogspot www.lanetteonmission.blogspot.com
Lanette is a friend of my sister's, a life coach and recently began a "dream discovery" class, interesting....
maybe one of these days i will have employment again and get off the world wide web, super information highway or whatever they call it these days!!!!

Tom said...

Almost there....stay on target!

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie, Just your mom, Dad & I are home and Dad made his Dentist appointment, after you guys left Dad and drove the van and our car to Findlay, played some minnie golf, had dinner, played our DS games, watched surviorer, (our guy won), Dennis had left, to get Cathy, put the kids to bed and then I crashed and boy I will need a nap today - Looking forward to seeing you in Gaylord on Tuesday next when you arrive home. Have fun, stay safe and thanks again for my bear. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz -
What a great day that was! I'm thinking of you a lot today - wondering what this day will bring for you! I'm sure it will be totally blog worthy. I'm guessing you reached Michigan for one of those healthy on the road lunches barring any bike repairs. Tomorrow's forecast is calling for windy conditions in Ohio. I hope it's at your back if Michigan gets the same!
I'll always remember our biking day together! I'll keep checking on ya - peddle safe as always!
Love-
Cathy

Anonymous said...

How cool it is to read everyday!!
Feeling the family love!!
I think ending the adventure at home (Gaylord) instead of down here in (Fl) was the best thing, all the cheering family, and friends, you'll have a parade in "Charlie Bono's " honor. Maybe even "Charlie Bono, Follow your dreams day!"
plus we have had smoked filled skies down here for days, none to healthy for your tender lungs.
Have a great time, making you way, with family & friends.
Your a super star!
safe travels.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Wow Charlie! I'm just catching up after not hitting your blog for a number of days and here you are many states away! That, my friend is most impressive!! I'm so proud of all you've accomplished. It's inspirational to see your dedication and drive. Welcome to the home stretch!!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm up from my nap so it's my turn to read your adventure with Cathy. Wow! this is getting to be a must read everyday...so what a come down doing the Detroit Free Press crossword puzzles after your adventure ends. Woke up this morning at 6:15 AM and headed over to MacDonalds got pan cakes and susage for Noah,Austin and Julie and for Mom a sausage burrito. Oh yes and two coffees for Mom & I. Hoping your day today is ful of meeting great people along the way, nice scenery, safe cycling and God Speed. Had a great visit with all this past weekend. Love, Dad

Claire said...

Thumbs up to both my sibs! You rock! We might be meeting you at Cathy and Dennis' too! Love you lots, Claire Ann

Anonymous said...

hi charlie, it was really nice to be a part of support to your bike adventure. keep up the good work and hopefully no more broken spokes to come. we wouldn't want those bearrings to fall out. be safe and our love and prayers are with you.
Love,
Jim, Denise, Katie, and Melissa

Anonymous said...

Chaz,

It was nice talking about life goals and dreams around the fire. It all came crashing down, though, when I went into work Monday morning. Looking forward to our golf outing Saturday/Sunday. Any men are welcome (Sorry girls - guys weekend).

-Dennis

Anonymous said...

Charlie, you are amazing! And such an inspiration! You are so close to home, it must be a joy to see friends now -- do you know how extrememly PROUD everyone is of you? We are, we are, we are! And to think earlier today I walked 2 miles to the Starbucks here in St. Louis, and felt like it was hard work (90+ degrees, I think) - ha! You and your sister sure accomplished a hell of a lot more than me!

Lou just arrived home from a video shoot, and when I told him I was finally reading you blog - can't believe I waited till NOW! - he sounded very jealous of me. I'm sure now he'll need to sign on and check out your journey.

Enjoy K College - we will look very forward to reading more in Lux Esto soon!

YOU ARE A CELEBRITY, young man! (I call you young man because I will be 55 years old this week!)

Keep on keepin' on, Charlie!
- Barb Stemmler