Saturday, May 19, 2007

Good People, Good Deeds, Good Reflections

Today marked the first time I’ve really had a good chance to reflect on my adventure, which is quickly coming to a close. It was maybe the most ideal day of cycling I’ve seen; perfect temperatures, sunny, beautiful scenery. I was just about to give up on Michigan after the past few days, when lo and behold, a day like today comes by and renewed my faith.

First, I would like to thank the House of Wheels in Owosso, which had my bicycle in prime condition when Cliff and I arrived shortly after 10:00am. Not only did they waive all of their fees, including a new rear derailer, fixing the spokes and “truing” my rear wheel; they also called the Owosso newspaper to interview me and take some pictures. Hopefully this is the final bike shop I will need to visit, and it surely has very fine and gracious staff. Here’s how good they are: I couldn’t believe they were donating their time and gear, and when I mentioned they could write it off their taxes, they were not interested. Now that is unparalleled goodness.

Even though he day was quiet and peaceful, it was a little like media day at the end of spring training. Beside the Owosso News, I also did a radio interview with WHNN96 in Saginaw, my usual morning spot on the Eagle in Gaylord, and a big interview with the Bay City Times, which was arranged by Meier and Associates. This was going to be a quiet, underground trip until the bowling girls got involved, but I am happy to spread positive messages about the goodness in the world and living out your personal dreams. What a great feeling to think that I have made a positive impact on others.

On my way north from Owosso, I passed through St. Charles, where the entire St. Charles High School student body was planting flowers throughout the entire town. It was a sight to see; I talked with a group of young adults and some organizers how great it must feel to transform their town in a few hours. Once again, good news is there when you look for it.

I rode to the Maier and Associates office in Bay City to thank them for their contribution to the Kyle Casey Memorial Scholarship. Wayne Maier, the Grand Pooba, told me that he would donate a dollar a mile before the trip started. They are contributing more than the rest of the combined donations we have received, over $2,300 at this point. Wayne is a unique man with unique life experiences, and I think he holds many of the values I am espousing on this trip close to his heart. He knew completing the tour would be a challenge for me, but that made his commitment so much more meaningful. It’s too bad he could not be there, but a bunch of the Maier gang was there to greet me and I think them all.

Most of my day involved cycling on peaceful back roads, although for 10 miles I enjoyed the Saginaw Valley Rail-Trail, a dedicated bike trail between St. Charles and Saginaw. It was awesome. About noon, I realized that I was not going to make it to Dennis and Cathy’s cottage on Forest Lake. I decided to camp instead, partly because tonight will be my last opportunity, and camping has been such an integral and rewarding part of my journey. I’m in a roadside park just south of Standish, and even though it doesn’t have the lakes, views and intrigue of some other locations, it feels nice to settle in for one last evening under the stars. I am truly blessed to have the opportunity of this adventure, and doubly so because I could share it with others.

PS: Happy Birthday, Jim!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all love you sense of adventure Charlie, enjoy your family, and the big ride home.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!
The home stretch! Have fun at the cabin - you guys will have a much deserved good time. Thanks for the post card from Indiana - that was a lot of fun. Take care brother! Ride safe to Forest Lake.
Love-Cathy

Joe said...

Spaz-O-Maniac,

Have fun in Alger. Bring it home safe. Great Adventure for sure. Looking forward to seeing you when I see you.....Joe

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie, It's great to have a nice day once in a while. Glad you had one after the day you had the previous day. We just got back from Katie's confirmation in Van Wert, OH. It is also Jim's 43rd birthday...SSHHush I wasn't supposed to give his age away, but oh well Dads can do that I guess. I hope you are enjoying your free day at Cathy & Dennis's cottage. Enjoy the golf and may the wind be at your back, the scenery to your liking and your golf score respectable. Happy Birthday Jim. God Bless son, Dad

Lady Di said...

Greetings,
Lisa, Geena and Lady Di ran the 5k in Bay View and what a view it was. We went running(?) past many of the million dollar homes that sit empty except for 3-5 months of the year. Yikes....
I finished the run with the 44 year old banker from town (p-town) not bad for the ole lady (still not tellin)
He (the banker) was the one who told me all about the Bay View homes. and not because the owners need mortgages...no mortgages in Bay View...cash only
Charlie Mon-what an awesome and humbling trip you have had. I finally had Joe checkin out the ride and if you know the Dude, he was most interested in your stop at Shiloh. He would have liked to have seen that place. He was in awe of your blog from Shiloh and your photos of the site. Nothing is more stirring than a Civil War battle ground.
Naturally, the Dude could not believe what you have been up to this past month. Poor Dude, livin in that small, corner, basement office in that dilapitated building. JK
Enjoy your golf today,
something bad, something good, still hangin with ya
safe travels, wind at your back and many fond reflections as you begin your last FEW miles to the GREAT WHITE NORTH
Lookin forward to your arrival "Up Nort"
Lady Di

Claire said...

Charlie,

This is it! The home stretch for you! WOW!! You have made some great memories! Thanks for sharing your bike adventure with all of us. Safe trails bro!

Love, Claire Ann

Lady Di said...

i know my spelling leaves a bit to be desired

Anonymous said...

Hello Charlie- I am truly blessed each day when I read how nice everyone is to you...what a great feeling to know there are always people there you can count on! Enjoy the day playing golf and hanging out with the guys! A much deserved time off to relax and have some good ol' fun. You are in the home stretch!!! Love, Gina

Lady Di said...

and I think it was bay harbor not bay view
i can't keep all those places in Petoskey straight
they have ginormous palatial estates

Anonymous said...

Dang it...we just missed you by the sounds of it. Phil's family lives in Owosso. We went down Friday after school and just came back up tonight (Saturday) I am excited to read the story about you in the Owosso Argus...we told Phil's mom to save it for us. I will mail you a copy when we get it. You are doing an amazing thing here...something for you to always be proud of.

See you soon
Tina Collins

Anonymous said...

Someone asked about Kyle's schorarship.
After talking to Krista about how nice it would have been if Charlie had been here to give it out.We thought about Andrea who was going to be there.She said yes and I must thank her for honoring Kyle.Shane Kwapis recieved the $500.00 award.This was the first year I didn't know who he was.I talked to the football coaches and recieved nothing but positive answers and how deserving he was.He is going to Hope,they now have an engineering program.

Words can't even come to my mind after reading this blog.Thank you can't even describe how I feel.I try to stay composed so my bowling team don't think I have lost what mind I have left.I thank the ones who are leaving a day early so I can be there monday when Charlie gets in.

Hope you enjoy your last night out. This adventure will go on for a long time after you get back.I believe it put a good feeling in our lives that the world is still a good place and people are still giving and caring.When I'm driving home today I will try and not call anyone names for driving crazy,but I can't promise I will alway go the speed limit!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Thank you for stopping and giving us some excitement from our usual "Huffy" repairs at our shop. Maybe you are doing what I've always dreamed of doing. So my generousity was my part of living the dream thru you.

Rick from the House of Wheels

Anonymous said...

Boy Charlie, this wonderful, fun, learning journey is all the talk, and no wonder, this is the greatest virtual trip anyone could imagine being on, I wait daily to be a part of the trip with you. It brings a whole new outlook on the world as we know it, who would think there would be so ,many great people at every turn for you, it sure brings the faith level back. Have a great last day,
Welcome Home Tomorrow. I sure it will be wonderful for you rfamily to h ave you home, It is apparent they are all very proud of you. Anxiously awaiting your next great adventure. The Cleaning Lady

Anonymous said...

Sue,
We know Shane and his family , it is a great choice, and he's a very nice young man.
Dawn