Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mom's Birthday, Armadillo's and Flat Tires


First, I’d like to wish my mom a happy birthday; her 39th to be exact. That make’s her 8 years younger than me, which I can’t quite figure out, but she sure looks it so who am I to argue.

Next, I would like to answer a question that Jeff Kalember posed me: Have I seen any interesting wildlife on my trip, such as wild boars, zebra or giraffe? Although I did see a hummingbird and some wild turkey (not the liquid kind), the one thing I have found fascinating is the number of dead armadillo at the side of the road. Evidently, they are quite the pests in the south and their habitat is slowly moving northward. Mr. Brown, the Cochrane Camp host said there were so many last year they spent the summer exterminating them. He said that Armadillos are so stupid you could just clunk them over the head. I was going to hang one on my flag, but thought better of that idea.

I crossed over into Mississippi today, as evidenced by the photo from the state line, and am resting in a campground in Aberdeen. I stepped into a mud puddle and got a “soaker” setting up the time elapse for the picture. The things you do for your blog.

The day started out with a flat tire before I started. I was due, since my last one was a week ago. Unfortunately as I was riding through Columbus, MS I heard an ominous “POP…FFSSSSS” as I blew a second one. Good thing I had another spare (even though it’s a patched one from earlier.) I guess it’s time to find a bike shop.

As I was taking a break and drinking a Gatorade, Betty Holliman of Columbus stopped by to talk. Now I don’t know if it was my charming personality or the fact that I’m beginning to look pretty grungy, but she slipped me a $5 bill before she left. I told her I would put it toward Kyle’s scholarship fund. That’s the first time something like that has happened on my trip. Do I look homeless and destitute in my pictures? Maybe I have a career in panhandling.

I’m spending the night at a campground right off the Tenn-Tombigbee Waterway, a series of Dams and locks that I have been riding past for the past couple of days. They connect the Tennessee River with the Mississippi River, making it a kind of inland waterway superhighway. The locks raise boats higher than the Panama Canal. Pretty cool. If you look at the picture you can see my campsite on the left. If you look really close you can see me waving.

Your comments are greatly appreciated – they serve as extra motivation so please keep them coming. Also don’t forget that if you would like to show your support of “living your dreams”, make a contribution to the Kyle Casey Memorial Scholarship Fund. As Sue and Pat Casey would surely tell you, the amount is not important, but the thought is precious.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie,
This is Bobby Rone of the "Bobby Ride" group. Enjoy your Blog! Thanks for posting our pictures, and I WILL invite you on the next ride.

Just a minor correction: The Tenn-Tom Waterway doesn't connect to the Mississippi River. It connects the Tombigbee River, which flows into Mobile Bay, to the Tennessee River, which flows into the Ohio River near Paducah, KY. The Corps of Engineers maintains a 9-foot channel for barge traffic all the way from Mobile to the Ohio River.
Have a great trip! Hope you make it in time for your daughter's graduation!

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie, Thank you for the bd wish. I must be getting younger, because I got a nintendo DS Lite and the brain Age game for my birthday. Cathy thinks that will keep me young well to start my brain is 59, not bad for an older lady. I got a good laugh about the story about the $5, but then you know me and the homeless. Keep on truckin' I can't wait for the book and the movie, remember the movie they made about the guy who rode his lawn mower to visit his brother. Loved that one. Your #1 fans, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

How far have you biked son? Better get to a bike shop and chore up the tire action. Maybe you can update your map if you can. Keep up the biking and stay healthy and safe. Glade you are meeting some very nice people. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

So, Charlie, who's going to play you in the movie adaptation of your journey?

Ed M

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz!
My college roomate Diane lived in Columbus, MS for a short while and I did visit her there. I know the terrain (not the bike path one though).
I see you being played by Jim Carrey in the movie - he's not quite as funny or handsome but I still think he could pull it off. (Thought I'd throw in a morale boosting suck up comment there!)
By the way - we all want to sign you up for Survivor after this. We'll need to get some video footage of your ride - that would make good Survivor entry material!
Love - Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hey Man, Got your bd message on the cell phone, we were at church doing volunteer work. Thank you so much - love ya! I agree with Cathy -JC- could do the job, but what about you, after all you have had some good roles. After everyone has to have their 15 minutes of fame. May the angels keep you safe on your big adventure. love Mom

KNITWHIT said...

Charlie, when we lived in Louisiana, what some people did for fun was stand up the dead armadillos on the side of the road, just like they're walking along minding their own business. If you ever felt you needed a rest and wanted to be a goof at the same time (hard to imagine), it's an idea.

KNITWHIT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

Time for another map update for those of us too lazy to look up things for ourselves. And happy birthday Aunt Claire!

Tom

Lady Di said...

Charlie-mon
Ok so maybe I was wrong about protection...... Glad all is well, sounds like you truly are getting the most for your mile....
looking forward to the movie, I was thinkin Richard Gere or Robert Redford or possibly Kevin Costner...Lady Di

Lady Di said...

Charlie-Mon
ok, so maybe I was wrong about protection.....
I am glad all is going well and that you are mostly safe...
It sounds like you are truly getting the most (?) out of each mile...
I am thinking that I would rather have Richard Gere (too much of a wussy), Robert Redford, Paul Newman, (maybe too old) or Kevin Costner possibly even Billy Bob Thornton to play the part...If I am going to see the movie I need a better lookin dude than Jim Carey....
Maybe Angelina Jolie could play Christa I am riding with you in spirit and I wish I would have trained all winter to be doin this with you-- after all, what betta do I have to do...(certainly not workin)
Lady Di

Anonymous said...

GO CHARLIE!, GO CHARLIE!, GO CHARLIE! GO!!!!!!!!

Well, I think only you can be Charlie in the movie version of your adventures. You never know it could be one of your next new adventures, Look out "HOLLYWOOD" here you come.
I'm glad you are finding good people along the way, & many prayers that it follows you the entire trip.
Thanks for taking a wet sock for your blogger team, we all really enjoy your pictures, and comments, and are looking forward to what is yet to come.
Stay safe, and smiling.
Love, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie
Its your long lost cousin Phyllis.
Ive been following u but coulndt figure out how to blog, Grace and Bill were even trying to help me.Keep up the good work and be safe, I wish I had the nerve to follow my dreams.Talk to u soon Phyllis :]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNT CLAIRE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I think Jim Cary is a good choice for Charlie and Cathy Bates for me keeping up the home front and turning the pages of my map as we talk each night. (Sometimes i can't wait to get off the phone with Charlie if there is a new blog update!)
Hey Hon, tell us how many hits your getting on the site daily and where they are coming from. Love, Christa

Anonymous said...

You're all wrong, Ben Stiller should play Charlie.
Towanda,
Kathy Bates

Anonymous said...

How about Ben Stiller to play Charlie, (cute, the "bod", smooooth and also a cutting edge comic)and don't forget "Sue" from the original survivor, she was soooo Christa. Your pals are all riding with you Charlie -- and Kyle is on the wings of your guardian angel.
We love you! Terry

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie,
Christa is right we need an update on the hits, and where they are coming from (please) Have any news people, ect... contacted you at all yet? We have all been passing the news of your adventure around, How far has word traveled??

cuzgrace said...

Chaz....we are getting a little to old for the things on our list can you add them to yours...What about Tom Hanks for the movie he was a great runner maybe he can ride a bike too? Happy Birthday to the number one person in your pit crew Aunt Claire.....Stay strong Charlie

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie,
Hang in there. We are all thinking of you and stay safe.
I think it's incredible you are living your dream, more people should do that.
Victoria Borowiak (OMH)

Anonymous said...

Charlie -
You are an inspiration! Stay save on your adventure. You have acting background -- definitely play yourself in the movie -- don't let the Hollywood types tell you any different.
Linda Busse

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie Man!!
I have been checking in to see where you are and read about your great adventure....YOU are amazing!! I truly enjoy your stories...and know they could only happen to you!
Keep safe my friend!
Ride on man!

Heather "not an angel no more"

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie! I wanted to tell you it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday! I truly admire you for following your dreams and I think you are an inspiration to us all in showing us that it's never too late to do whatever you want in life!!! Best wishes and have a safe journey!!! =)

Nikki
The Copy Shop of Aberdeen, MS