Monday, May 14, 2007

Meechigan!




I took off this morning from Kendallville thinking that Sturgis was right around the corner – but it turned out being 35 miles away. Good thing Cathy and I didn’t try to make it yesterday. We would have been riding until midnight! I did break the 2,000 mile barrier today. Booo Yah!

But early this afternoon I entered Meechigan, and the final phase of my adventure. It’s all downhill from here, figuratively speaking. After eating a banana split and two orange shakes at a little ice cream shop in Centerville, I was ready to head into my old stomping grounds of Kalamazoo. The town had grown and changed, but my memories of it have not. I received phone calls from a few co-workers who live here along the way, and it’s great to know that people remember you and continue to love you, even if you haven’t seen them for a few years. Thanks Kim, Nadine and Sandy.

I’ll go to Kalamazoo College tomorrow to visit the alumni relations office and one of Adams friends, BJ Cherup. But tonight I had the chance to spend the evening with my Uncle Larry, and his two daughters Molly and Mary. And it was a complete evening. We had hamburgers at Red Robin, a new franchise that someone should open in Gaylord. They were big and good, and of course, I ate a double. Mmmmmm. Then we played at the Putters Arcade, where Molly showed off her Dance, Dance Revolution steps and Mary whipped me in a virtual horse race. Finally, we topped off the evening with a triple frozen custard at Culvers. Molly and I are going skydiving when she turns 18 – that’s less than three years away. I am counting the days.

When we returned to Larry’s house and watched a real inspiration, Rick and Dick Hoyt. Rick was born with cerebral palsy, and in order to give him the challenge of athletic competition, his father Dick began running races with him. Team Hoyt has now completed over 50 marathons and 6 ironman triathlons together, with Dick carrying, pushing and swimming with his son in tow. Check out this link if you want to be inspired. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI&mode=related&search=

When I lived in Kalamazoo, Larry and I golfed together every Saturday for a few years. He was my only regular golfing partner, beside my wife, so of course we stayed up late and played a round on his Wii. He beat me this time, but next time I'll be ready for his sneaky tricks. It was more fun than all get out, and I want one for Christmas next year, Christa.

Well, I am going to hit the sack now tomorrow promises to be a busy and emotional day, and I want to be prepared. I will be back in Gaylord next Monday and can’t wait. But in the meantime, my trip down memory lane this week will be something to remember.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo Michigan, way to go Chas. Say hi to Larry, Molly and Mary for us. Sorry Lady Di but us older people have to have a potty break in mid morning sometimes and I prevented you from being #1 this AM. K college must bring back a lot of memories for you Charlie. Keep on truking son but this old body is heading back to bed. Cycle safe, enjoy your adventure and God speed. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back to Michigan Charlie: What an incredible accomplishment, 2000 miles! It was great fun to spend the weekend with the Bono family in Ohio. Christa was able to see for herself that you were ok! Glad you and Cathy enjoyed your ride together - enjoy the rest of your trip. Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the handlebars. Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie, so glad everything is fine as wine in the summertime, corny - I see Molly and Mary are doing fine as we do not get to see them very often. We saw George Blaha at church last night and told him about your adventure, it seems they have a summerplace in Gaylord, small world. You sound great as always, enjoy K college I am sure it will bring back memories it seems like you were just there a short time ago. Stay safe Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz!
Ooooh - I'm really glad we didn't try for Sturgis! It's the home stretch! That's awesome! I'm getting ready to go out for my morning jog - back to running. (But I think I might add cycling to my weekly routine now that I have the hang of it). Take care of yourself brother!
Love-Cathy

Anonymous said...

hey charlie, i am melissa bonos social studies teacher and we are following your blog from when you started. you are doing great! Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie Mon!

WELCOME TO MEECHIGAN! What an AWESOME Adventure Thus Far & The Best is: Your Almost HOME!

Your Livin' Your Dream is Almost Complete! So Keep On Bikin' Mon and we'll see ya in Gaylord!

Kathy A

Bill said...

Welcome back to Michigan Charlie. Hope you enjoyed your vist to K and were able to hook up with BJ. Stay safe, see you soon. Keep on keeping on.

Bill @ GHS

Anonymous said...

Charlie,

Way to go -- back in Michigan!!! Congratulations. What a ride. I feel that there may be a book in this adventure for you!

Enjoy your "victory lap" around Michigan.

Best regard,
Barry

Lady Di said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Di said...

Charlie-Mon,
you still rock...
enjoy Meechigan, lookin forward to your arrival "Up Nort" to the balmy 50's...maybe that is good cycling weather?
It is ok Papa Joe, I can handle not being #1 today ..just once was my goal!
I have enjoyed sharing Charlie's big adventure with the Bono-Bono family via the WWW. Charlie is a great guy and is lucky and fortunate to have The Christa for his life partner.
(I had to put it in, I just had to)
Christa will have the snow shoveled from the driveway for your big finish to the Great White North.
today, tomorrow and as has been--- my prayer for you....
safe travels and the wind at your back.
Lady Di

cuzgrace said...

Hail .. Hail....To Michigan...!!!!
Welcome back Charlie. We hope the bike angel's continue with you and the wind is at your back.
P.S.
Still doing my 5 miles (walking and jogging) a day 45 miles so far..only 155 to go to catch up with you.hahaha
Grace

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz!
I'm wondering how you fared with this balmy, WINDY day. I sure hope the wind was at your back, bud!


Cousin Grace- That's awesome to hear about your 5 miles per day. Good for you! Keep it up girl!
Love- Cousin Cathy

Anonymous said...

Mr Bono, hello to you. sorry I haven't had a chance to post anything yet, and I did have to go back and read a couple posts that i missed, but i've been doing my best to keep tabs on ya. sounds like a kick ass trip man, congrats on getting back to michigan in one piece! hope the rest of your journey is safe and enjoyable, have a good one.

cuzgrace said...

Thanks Cathy but......my math.... not so good.. I was off by just 1,000
so sorry Charlie...2,000-45=1,055 to go:( It's gonna take me a while to catch up.hahahaha
Grace

cuzgrace said...

oh my god......1945...forget it

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO MICHIGAN CHARLIE!!!!!Hope the rest of your trip is as adventurous as the past. I will pray for good weather and a safe ending to your trip. See you on Monday! What's next? Can this be topped? The cleaning lady.

Anonymous said...

I went a few days without checking your blog and I felt like I was having withdrawal. I'm officially caught up now though. Have a great time winding your way through Michigan....looking forward to seeing in Rosco! Enjoy!

Tina Collins

32 degrees said...

almost home charlie. Imagine how good your own bed will feel after a huge steak dinner and a cold refreshing drink.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie
Welcome back to Michigan cousin, now continue to be safe, we all know how Michigan drivers can be LOL.Hey let me know when your doing the skydiving thing, I have always wanted to do that.My email is philldogg@comcast.net.Hey Cathy nice job on the ride, nice picture of the family, everyone looks great.Be safe
your cousin phyllis :]

Anonymous said...

Charlie,
Hopefully someone gets you one of those bottles with the worm in it! To go with the big steak! That could really top off the adventure! Off to never never land,& sweet dreams in your own bed.
Safe travels
Dawn

Anonymous said...

So I finally got around to viewing this page. Yay! I'm in your blog! Anyways, I'll count the days as well: skydiving will make an awesome 18th birthday! Can't wait! Hope the rest of your trip is pleasant, and that we can see you again some time. I had a lot of fun that evening.

-cousin Molly