Wednesday, May 2, 2007

On to Shiloh!



It’s been 12 days since I left Marco Island and I feel GREAT! I have to be careful about arriving home too soon, because I know Christa is keeping a honey-do list that will be much more taxing than riding a bike.

I was going to take it easy today, but as I took a wrong turn and passed the campground I planned on staying at. The good news: I had a chance to cycle the Nachez Trace Parkway, perhaps one of the most scenic routes of the country. No commercial vehicles are allowed on it and it was well worth the cruise. The bad news: I ended up backtracking ten miles before coming to the Tishomingo State Park campground. I guess it’s not all bad news, because I’ve got a nicer site than we ever had camping at Young State Park.

As I crested a hill, I noticed another cyclist walking his bike in front of me. He decided to ride the Underground Railroad route too, but used his mountain bike instead of a sleek road bicycle like mine. He’s only able to go 40-50 miles a day because of big treaded tires and gear problems. I felt bad for him, but after talking for 15 minutes I had to move on. We were both going to stop at a bicycle shop in Fulton, MS – me to get tubes and him to get his bike fixed. The “bike shop” turned out being an old second hand thrift store; they didn’t even have tubes for my bike and his mechanic needs were out of the question. Then I felt REALLY bad for him! About an hour later I ran into a fellow at a party store who saw my friend in town, still looking for the bike shop. Now I wish I would have gotten his phone number. At least I gave him my blog address. I hope he’s OK. Even though I am the first to admit that I didn’t know what I was doing before my adventure started, I sure made a lot of correct decisions by accident. Sometimes life is like that.

Tomorrow I am staying the night in Shiloh, home of one of the most important battles in the Civil War. If my American History classes are reading this, I will give you extra credit if you can tell me why.

Now, as for the movie, I would like to play myself if it's a musical. Tom Hanks and I are like this (imagine my fingers crossed) and he said that he would do a cameo, but he had enough of that cross country stuff with Forest Gump. Maybe Jim Carrey could play the crazy logging truck driver that tries to run me off the road. (This hasn't happened, but if we're making a movie I can take some creative liberties, can't I?)

One final note: I am getting abut 200 hits a day on my blog, which is awesome. I'm glad so many people are living vicariously through my trip. I know Christa and I have lived vicariously through Adam and Andrea as they are transforming into adults, and it's nice to return the favor. Keep checking out my blog - I hope it's entertaining for you. It sure is fun to write!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlie, you are so inspirational. I wait everyday for your blog, as for today, (cleaning day)(sorry Christa) I just got up. it's 1:00p.m. with a hugh migraine, but your story makes a migrain feel like a twitch, I am so happy to know such a great guy, and of course his family. Keep the faith, your great grandchildren will be talking about this in their history classes and I am sure they will be proud to say you were their gr. grandpa. I also am excited to see the great movie. Here's to another great day. By the way the morals are up and very plentiful this year. Take care. The cleaning lady.

Lady Di said...

Charlie,
YOU ROCK, every time I read the blog I hear your voice telling me what I am reading, with all of the great voice inflection (spelling?) and animation that only you project....
I think that no matter where or what the campsite, if it is a campsite it can't help but be the best..
forever yours in camping
Lady Di

Anonymous said...

Charlie,
I hope that you are enjoying the trip as much as I am enjoying reading about it. As a cyclist I can image your exhilaration as your reach your milestones. Congratulations on your progress so far. Best wish for good weather and a nice, warm tailwind. Stay safe.
Best regards,
Barry Schoenbart

Anonymous said...

Well, I just got back from shopping for a shower gift for an 2nd 3rd or 4th cousin, Aunt Joanne and I are going to the shower to find out how we are related. By the way, I got extra birthday greeting on your comments. Dad is at the Tiger game with some friends and will be disappointed that I saw the blog first. I know you are having a blast and loving every minute of it. I am so proud of my chidren they are all so supportive of their sibs. God, its great to have a family and friends like we have. Keep on trucking. MOM

Anonymous said...

Where do you get water to drink? Bottled? Are you sweating? Do you use deodorant? Do you care? Is it important? Are we reading your blog? How many miles so far?

Tom said...

Thanks for the map update. Looks like you're making good progress.

Joe said...

SPAZ-O-MATIC

Awesome brother!
Looks like you're doing great!
Next up ......Tour de France

Anonymous said...

Hi Son, Just got back from the Tigers win over the Orioles 3-2. Hey! Mom got on the comments before I did ..No Fair, just kidding have a great ride enjoy the scenery and thanks for the map update. Be safe and God Bless, Dad

Anonymous said...

It feels like Christmas morning when I log on to find an update to your blog. I am having so much fun following your adventure! It's cool to be able to say..."hey, I know this guy that is doing this really awesome thing...let me tell you about it." Thanks for inspiring us all!

Tina Collins

Anonymous said...

i have to live vicariously through you because i know that i could never do it maybe 100 miles not like 2200 you are making great progress and i think about your blog everyday at work when i know i can get home and read about how and where you are you are so awsome charlie keep rolling be safe

Claire said...

Hey Charlie!
Wow looks like your blog is catching on. Augusta put it on www.digg.com and than we passed along to our address books. My friend Diane has passed this on to her boyfriend John - he is a cyclist also, John passed it on to a journalist friend...so maybe this movie thing could really happen. Cathy and I have both elected you for the next Survivor episode. Dude you could do it!
One note to Christa, Christa man I think of you too, every time I read Charlie's blog. You are both great sibs! Keep safe brother!
Love, Claire

cuzgrace said...

Charlie
Ok your making it really hard to lay around!! Everyday We read your blog we say we gotta get some exercise in today.....not 105 miles but something!!!
Love your stories. We have emailed you blog to everyone on our addy list they are all watching and rooting for you.
Stay safe and well
Grace and Bill

Unknown said...

ChazTheSpaz: U r the American Bicycling Idol!! But can u really sing, or just Karaoke? Try to go more than 100/day, we know u can do it!!

Unknown said...

Hey everyone who is wondering, we have raised approx. $825.00 for the kyle Casey Scholorship fund. Thank you to everyone out there who has donated. Charlie, keep on Truckin'.

Olivia @ The Clip Joint Gaylord, MI.