Sunday, May 6, 2007

Cinqo de Mayo (and de Stato)





It’s Cinqo de Mayo and I just reached my cinqo state: Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and now Kentucky. I am camping at the Rushing Creek Campground in the “Land Between the Lakes” National Recreation Area, right on the border of Tennessee and Kentucky. It’s surrounded by Lake Barkley on one side and Kentucky Lake on the other side. It’s very rustic and scenic; perhaps the most isolated part of my trip so far.

I almost got caught in a thunderstorm but when I stopped at the Erin, TN library to check my e-mail it poured while I was nice and dry under the awning. Begosh and begorum, it’s the luck of the Irish!

After traveling in the Land Between the Lakes for an hour, I thought I heard another thunderstorm rolling in. The sky was clear and it just didn’t make sense. Then I remembered what Kevin Costner did in Dancing with Wolves. I got off my bike and put my ear to the ground. Tatonka! There was a huge field with a bunch of Bison! I wanted to tell all of the Indians to get on their horses for the big hunt, but I couldn’t find them. Pretty cool, anyway.

When I arrived at the campground I was greeted by a family that passed me on the road three times today. They almost couldn’t believe their eyes when I rolled in. The youngest girl gave me her “Smokey’s Friend” wristband, kind of like one of those Armstrong wristbands, which I promised to wear the rest of the trip. Another family (three generations of women/girls) that I had lunch with at The Pit Stop Pizzeria in Erin, TN passed me an hour later as I was headed out of Tennessee. This kind of thing seems to happen with regularity. I wish I would have taken their pictures, but there’s lots of things we wish for, aren’t there?

It’s Andrea’s Prom tonight – I had a nice chance to talk with Christa after the big photo session. She bought a fabulous dress while we were in Chicago, which I’m told was on sale but don’t believe it. I wish I could have been there, but there’s lots of things we wish for…… Christa promised to send me her pictures, so I’ll put them on tomorrow’s blog. I won’t miss the graduation on May 25th though, dag nab it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey son, Cinqo de Mayo and you reached Kentucky!! On Cinqo de Mayo, I was in my Color Gaurd outfit and that was cool too, not as adventurish as you feat but OK for an old bugger like me. Mom is at abridal shower with Aunt Joannie (I think it's one of Uncle Norm's in Lexington,MI. boys)You have 19 days left before Andra graduates and I'm sure you are well aware of that..stay dry enjoy the scenery, find a bike shop with the right inner tubes, and ride safely..God Speed, Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I just got back and guess what I gave you blog out to Dan Pfaff and his son Branden,Uncle Norm's boy, Lexington that is. I swear I must give it out at lest 2 or 3 times a day. Keep on biking, and let us know when you are close to Van Wert and we will try and get down to visit you. Love you, Mom

Lady Di said...

continue to be safe and enjoy God's greastest gift....LIFE

mary said...

Dang Charlie look at you go!! Keep on pedaling! We'll have some cold beer waiting for you when you roll in to town!! Have fun!!

Joe said...

keep-a-go chaz-omatic....we love ya brother.

did you have time to stop in on the kentcky derby? "missed it by this much"....(in your best Get Smart impression)

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie Mon,

Heard you a couple of times on the Oldies Radio Station & it's Great to Hear your Updates "LIVE" (Almost as if you were in Person)! Your doing a Great Job of Keeping us Posted! Well, your getting close to Home, so Keep on Cyclin'!

P.S. My girls said Prom was Great & I'm sure Andrea had Fun Too! Also, try to stay away from that southern Moonshine (should you happen upon any) OK?

Kathy Avenall

Anonymous said...

this is your favorite student, nick traver, just hoping you luck on your trip