Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Life is Stranger than Fiction





Once again, what can I say that fact is often stranger than fiction, and today is no exception in my travels. Most of the day was uneventful, and I was trying to think how I could make this blog entry interesting. As I mentioned yesterday, my plan was to travel into Indiana from Henderson, KY. Specifically I thought that I could make it to a campground on Patoka Lake, in the Hoosier National Forest. The ride would be a challenge, but according to the map I have, it should have been easy to find a campground once I got there. Remember the phase “should have.”

I was on the Lincoln Heritage Trail a good part of the way, which takes you past the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, where he lived from age 7 to 21. I also passed through Santa Claus, IN and would have went down a waterslide at the Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari if it was open. Most of the day it was 90 degrees. Hot. Real Hot.

As I closed in on Patoka Lake, I stopped in at the Possum Junction Store to grab a sandwich and get my bearings. I met the Plassmeyer girls and Lee Sturgeon (see photo), who pretty much verified that I was headed in the right way, even though there was a closer campground in a different direction. I, of course, was focused on heading north. Go north, young man! By the way, you were right about Birdseye hill. I had to walk my bike up most of the way.

So, it’s starting to get late and I am looking for campground signs. And I am looking. And looking. And it’s getting later. And later. And I’m getting tired. Real tired. Where are those dag nabit campgrounds? Finally I gave up all hope of finding a campground and pulled into the Painter Creek Boat Launch. This is where I was going to spend the night. I got off my bike and took a dip in Patoka Lake. Man, did that feel great. I was refreshed and ready to set up camp. But after exploring for a few minutes I realized that there were only “old fashioned” outhouses there – meaning a hole in the ground – and no plumbing. I was out of water and it looked like I was out of luck. But good things happen to good people, don’t they?

I asked a couple who were just getting done fishing if they had any water to spare. They were vacationing from Kokomo, IN and didn’t have anything to drink with them. That’s the reason they were leaving. Time for a little more exploring, if I do say so myself. What did I find hidden on a little road behind the boat launch but the Patoka Memorial Cemetery. Surely there must be water there. Once I walked onto the grounds I saw there was no water, but it was nice, well kept up and isolated. Then I remembered the advice someone gave me before my adventure. I even told it to many of you ahead of time. “If you can’t find a place to spend the night, pitch your tent in a cemetery. Nobody will bother you there.” BINGO.

Now you won’t believe what happened next. As I was walking back to my bike, talking on the phone with my brother John Boy Walton, who drives up but the couple I talked to from Kokomo. They left me a bag of ice, 2 sprites, a bottle of water, and a box of Pop Tarts, which I just devoured for dinner, along with some trail mix and a big bag of teriyaki beef jerky. I wish I would have gotten their names. Now I was all set. Oh, yeah!

I packed my gear up and pulled my load into the cemetery. Perfect. But what happens next? I almost got scared to death as a car pulled into the cemetery while I was setting up my tent. Who visits a cemetery at 9:00pm on a Tuesday night? I walked up to the car and it was the trustee, Carl Allen and his wife (other picture). I explained my dilemma, and he graciously gave me permission to spend the night. I think it was probably the first time he ever had that request.He assured me none of the residents would give me a problem. He was right.

Quite a story, I’d say.

Just thinking: Remember that movie, “Breaking Away”, about the hometown kids in Bloomington, IN who were swimming in a quarry and decided to get into the big bike race? Remember they called themselves the “cutters? Remember the one who kept dreaming about being on the Italian Bicycling team and played the opera? Remember how the skinny little dude with long greasy hair had to put it in high gear? Remember how they beat all of the college kids and won the race. That was awesome. (Thanks to Walton for reminding me of some of the details.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie, Just your mom, I know the angels are with you. They always show up when you need them. It sounds like you are having a great adventure. Stay safe your mom

Anonymous said...

Chaz, You are meeting some wonderful people in your travels and seeing so much of the good side of the USA country side. I am glad you got new tubes for your tires and sent Robert of the bike shop a couple of pictures he asked for. Keep on cycling, enjoy the scenery, people and the country side as you travel northward. Keep safe and God Bless.
Love, Dad

Joe said...

Charlie,

Glad to hear things keep working out and you are in a groove.

This will be a story for the ages when you are all said and done.
Keep safe, and keep on trucking.
We are all rooting for you !

Joe

Anonymous said...

Chaz!
The pop-tart angels are looking out for you! It's really roughing it when you don't have a toaster to pop them up in though. You'll be home soon enough!
Biking, Biking, Biking.....keep it up brother! We're all looking forward to seeing you in Ohio. And I'm looking forward to my day of cycling with you!
Love-
Cathy

32 degrees said...

hey hey charlie !! you are getting closer to home, must feel great.... could you ever imagine how good a couple sprites, a box of pop tarts and beef jerky could taste? those small simple pleasures are what its all about. as your adventure draws to a close start dreaming of your next ...

cuzgrace said...

Charlie,
Wow what a night you had..Sounds like you have a couple angels in the out field.
Love the pic's daily, you are meeting some interesting people to say the least....I'm still doing my 5 mile walk daily..3 days 15 miles/3hrs and 45mins...I'm almost caught up to you!! hahaha ( Im kinda sore too)
Stay Srong and Safe
Grace

Anonymous said...

Hey Fagen,
Is it time for another map and some stats? How far have you gone, etc?
Your faithful blog reader.
MaryEllen in Port Charlotte

Tom said...

Hard to imagine that it's hotter up there than in Texas. Here's some advice for sleeping in cemetarys...they're not ghosts, they're just trying to scare you off the land to sell to developers. Pull the mask off and you'll see.

And I agree that it's time for a map update.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie,
I am from Van Wert, Ohio and I know the relatives you will be visiting and hear you will be coming through here soon. I just wanted to wish you safe travels and to have an amazing time. Keep It up You are an Inspiration to Many.
Best Wishes,
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Charlie did the cemetary bring back any memories of mowing them for hours?It sure took away the fear I grew up with about them.Your good boy came to see me and he has a great haircut.I even check the weather everyday for your area.Looks good today.Wish the hills would go away.Sounds like the sights are beautiful and the peolple your meeting are telling us that the USA still is a great place to live.

Wishing you well,good weather and no hills

Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie Mon,

Just finished catching up on your Blog & once again thoroughly enjoyed your stories. They always make me chuckle. So when you had that great Mexican meal a couple days ago I couln't help but comment on that. Did it give you enough gas to climb those hills? Anyways, keep on peddlin' cuz your almost Home.
Kathy A.
P.S. Andrea did a great job with her speech @ the Senior Banquet & it's hard to believe our kids will be moving on to bigger & better things in life! Hopefully they'll all be inspired by you & to live your DREAMS!!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie,
Your site is great and we look forward to your posts.
Hope the last leg of your journey is as rewarding as the miles already behind you.

Cheers, Christo

PS: Hello and Hugs from
Ruth, Ernie, Barb, Ashlee, and Chris Jr.