Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"With a Little Help from My Friends"


Thanks so much for following my bicycle adventure and living out my dream trip with me. After breakfast in New Castle, IN, I told Vikki and Ronnie about Kyle Casey’s role in my life, and they thought I should mention it in my closing blog. I think that’s a great idea.

Kyle was a friend and fellow Boy Scout with my son, Adam. A group of ten of them stuck together and all earned their Eagle rank, the highest rank in scouting. Kyle had completed all of the requirements but before his ceremony, he passed away in an auto accident. We held his Eagle ceremony posthumously in the funeral home, an event that greatly impacted everyone there. His death inspired me to take advantage of every moment of life, and served as a central inspiration for my trip. We are raising donations to fund the Kyle Casey Memorial Scholarship Fund, which is awarded to a Gaylord High School senior each year. My hope is to raise enough money to make the scholarship self-perpetuating, working from the interest, so that it can live on indefinitely in his memory.

The real lesson I learned from my bike adventure is about the goodness of people and, as the Beatles put it so well, “I get by with a little help from my friends.”

Some of the friends are ones whom I just met on my expedition through their simple acts of selfless kindness. When Phil Harnden and his family rescued me after my derailer exploded on my second day, I knew that I would make it through my trip. There are so many examples, from people providing me “experienced” directions, donating bike parts, and bringing me water, food and the occasional beer when I needed it, I cannot describe them all. The world is full of good kind people, and you should not be afraid to venture and meet them. They will enhance your life.

Some are the family and friends whom you have known through your whole life. Christa gave me the “blessing” to leave and rescued me twice when I needed her on the road. Having the opportunity to get together with many whom I haven’t seen in years reminded me that some bonds are too strong to be broken. Riding with my sister Cathy proved to be a fantastic memory, just one of many elements of family support that I won’t forget. And neither should you. What a celebration when I returned! Thanks for showing me the love! What can I say, Family and Friends must be treasured and not taken for granted.

Last, my own two hands served as my friends of last resort. They helped me resolve daily situations from eating to sleeping, routines everyone takes for granted. Many doubted my sanity and ability to finish this adventure before I began. But by using my own self confidence, I proved that with the right preparation, persistence and problem solving skills anything is possible.

I hope my adventure inspires you to fulfill your dreams. I am an “ordinary” guy, not some type of hero. Let me serve as an example instead, and tell me about the great plans you fulfill in your own lives.

NOTE: Maybe I will write a book…. You’ll be the first to know….. This blog is best viewed from the beginning (in February). Read one or two entries a day. If you can make it last 32 days, you'll know how I felt.... AWESOME!

18 comments:

Charlie Bono said...

Charlie Bono
1712 Baden Strasse
Gaylord, MI 49735
(989)732-8474

charliebono@hotmail.com

I really liked your sense of humor.

cuzgrace said...

Grace and Bill Van Hecke
22917 Doremus
St.Clair Shores,MI 48080
bvheck@msn.com
586-772-6808

It was a great jorney for all of us. We will miss your great blogs.
Keep in touch

Anonymous said...

Joe & Claire Bono
44259 Doebler
Sterling Heights, MI. 48314
cmbono@wowway.com

Seven cheers for the adventurer of the family. One from each of us, Mom & Dad and all your sibs. I think we were all on the trip in our own way. You know we support all of you and your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Barry Schoenbart
14411 Borgman
Oak Park, MI 48237
248-310-9412
barry.schoenbart@alumni.monmouth.edu

An amazing accomplishment for a wonderful cause. Way to go Charlie! Best wishes always.

Anonymous said...

Barry Schoenbart
14411 Borgman
Oak Park, MI 48237
barry.schoenbart@alumni.monmouth.edu

An amazing accomplishment for a wonderful cause. Way to go Charlie! Best wishes always.

Lady Di said...

Diane and Joe Duff
909 Schreur St.
Gaylord, MI 49735
(989) 732-8845

I am not sure your trip will inspire me to do something quite so adventurous, I am kinda in my comfort zone. I admire you and your spirit. Your are lucky and fortunate that The Christa is your life partner. She definately gives you the opportunity to expand your wings and soar.
For some reason I feel she will be there to rescue you a few more times on your future adventures.
It was such a pleasure to meet your mom and Papa Joe, hopefully I will get to meet more of the gang in the future.
I really don't talk as much as I write.!!!!! Honestly
Charlie it was a great ride ....my prayer for you today-tomorrow and every day...
safe travels and may the wind be at your back...
Lots of lovin to you and yours..
Lady Di

Anonymous said...

Phyllis Wirth
42241 Toddmark lane #131
Clinton twp,MI 48038
(586)948-9728
philldogg@comcast.net

Well I miss reading your blogs, well done cousin.My life has been turned upside down within these past several months, but watching you accomplish one of your dreams has inspired me.Well thanks for the trip and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Cathy and Dennis Keppers
1621 Pinehurst Dr.
Findlay, OH 45840
ckeppers@woh.rr.com

You really have touched so many people with this adventure. The world can be a great place and people are generally good.

My bike ride with you will definitely be one of those special memories in my life.

Way to go Charlie!
Love-Cathy

Anonymous said...

John Bono
5449 Sunnyside Dr.
Clarkston, MI 48346
j_r_bono@yahoo.com
586.703.6718

Chaz,
Most excellent adventure. Maybe next time it'll be surfing in Australia. All i need is a cool buzz and some tasty waves.
Had a lot of fun following your blog and the people I turned on to it all thought you were nuts. Well I don't know if you proved them wrong but good times were had by all. Take care Bro' and I'll see you in a few weeks.

Walton

Tom said...

Tom Pfaff
The Woodlands, TX
eradicator19@hotmail.com

That's all the info I'm giving you crazy folk. Loved following the journey. Hope to see the whole family sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Dawn and Earl Czykoski
p o box 116
Elmira Mi 49730

Way to go charlie we are proud of you way to go you are a insperation to many i am glad that we got a chance to read your blog and follow you on your adventure

Anonymous said...

MaryEllen Eisele
Port Charlotte, FL

Fagen producing Aladin? Should be interesting. Hope to see it. Are you going to write a blog on the show, auditions to cast party? I'd read it.

Anonymous said...

Tina Collins
5300 N. Reserve Rd.
Roscommon, MI 48653

tinamcollins@yahoo.com

You are awesome Charlie! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Pat& Sue Casey
2395 Rainswood
Gaylord,MI 49735
suekc13@hotmail.com

As Charlie has said words can't describe how we feel.Just knowing Kyle made such a difference in so many people's lives,even some that never even knew him but do now thru Charlie's adventure.I just feel so proud.I could talk for hours on what kind of person he was and always thought he would make a difference in this world.Then I figured that his chance was lost and no one would know what he was like.But thanks to Charlie his family,friends and anyone who took this adventure with him it was done!He has made a difference in this world and I thank all of you for giving him this chance.As his Mom and Dad we still can't thank you enough.As far as Kyle's scholarship I thank everyone no matter the amount.Even just talking about it was enough.The thought that it could go on for a long time is a wonderful feeling.Kyle will be remembered every year and helping someone's start in school a little easier.I'm sure Kyle and his favorite person(Grandpa Cy)are going around thanking all your relatives and probably getting in some kind of trouble too.

I do hope everyone does do something they always wanted to even so small as a phone call or e-mail.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Dawn Stocker
5524 Loma Vista Loop
Davenport Fl 33896
863-420-4154

stockerdfl@tampabay.rr.com

Dreams do come true!!

Anonymous said...

Charlie - What a wonderful thing to do - and you are right the world is full of kind hearted people and you are one of them. I hope your friend's memorial scholarship will inspire the students at Gaylord. Alison (from BCN)

Anonymous said...

Dear Charlie and Christa,

Congratulations on an amazing adventure. I wish you all the best with the scholarship effort and hope to hear that you will be teaching in the fall.

With warm regards,

Deb Robertson (K'81)
debrobertson@clarku.edu
(the web is an amazing thing - thanks to Johanna Humbert and Amy Marcaccio Keyzer for sending along the story)

Anonymous said...

Greeting old K fellow,

Johanna Humbert sent a number of us your link and I was pleased to see you continue in the long K tradition of life exploration and contemplation.

Tomison Winquist
tewinqui@i2k.com