Saturday, May 5, 2007

Land of Loretta Lynn


I called into the Eagle (Gaylord's local radio station) this morning, as I have been at 7:00am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and Mike Rieling told me that the only storm in the United States was right over Tennessee. Great. It had been raining all night. My choice was to hang out at the campground or move on. I threw my tent in the dryer, packed all of my stuff in plastic bags, and made the right choice by moving on. It rained part of the day, but for the most part, my ride was storm free.

About ten miles into my day I had to walk my bike up a hill. It didn’t seem to high at the time and I was thinking: “Maybe you’re losing your mojo, baby.” I ate a Powerbar (not the one you gave me, Joe) and tried to kick it up a notch, but who doesn’t get self doubts on occasion. An hour later I was a corner, thinking about what way to turn, when an old timer in a beat up pickup stopped and asked if I was lost. He gave me directions and warned me about the hills I would encounter along the way. I told him “Oh, my gosh. I just ran into one that knocked me out”, and he just laughed. “Whell, boy,” he said with a toothless grin, “that thar was the biggest hill in Perry County.” I forget what he called it, but it sure made me feel more confident again. Turns out that steep hill was over 300 feet high. Needless to say, it’s been difficult to make the big miles I was further south.

I passed the Loretta Lynn Museum but didn’t stop, after all, she wasn’t going to be there until later this month. The picture above is an typical example of the scenery throughout the day. I decided to stay in a hotel, and just as I pulled up the Imperial Lodge in Waverly, TN I got another flat tire. Luckily I’ve got plenty of time to patch some tires tonight. I should reach another bicycle shop in two days. It will be nice to ride on tires that don’t have patches. After eating the authentic and excellent food at the Mexican restaurant across the street, all I could think is “Life, she is good.”

P.S. Just a point of interest; I’ve stayed at four independent hotels along the way, and all are owned by people of Asian Indian descent, who live right behind the hotel office. Hmmm.

P.S.S. It’s 9:15am (central time) and I just found another hole in my tube. I guess I’m getting a late start this morning.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just got back from Joe and Gina on a hosta delivery and I thought oh well, I'll check the blog and there you were. Hope you find a bicycle shop soon. I'll keep the prayer coming for you. Let us know when you'll be near Van Wert maybe Dad and I Might visit. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Go Chaz Go. Your in some hilly country now, but the good news is after Kentucky then Ohio isn't too hilly, so you should cycle on more even ground...Best of luck, get to a bike shop that has the tubes you need, enjoy the area and God speed. Love, Dad

Claire said...

Hey Charlie Man!
Sister Claire here - I am at Mom and Dad's for a short visit. Just to let you know that although Ben has not blogged in - I am keeping him up to date. Hope you get to a bike shop soon! We are all so proud of you dude! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!
You're doing awesome! Those power bars taste nasty don't you think? Keep it up brother - we're all so proud of you!
Love- Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hey there Fagen, Just wanted to say Hi and tell you how much I have been enjoying your blog. I think I am going to miss you once you get to Gaylord. You may have to start off on another adventure for all of us who are hooked on checking up on you. Have you thought at all about what you would take with you that you don't have if you were going to do this again? Anything that you have with you that you could have left home?
MaryEllen in Port Charlotte

Anonymous said...

May 5th 6pm, dear Charlie: We are reading your blog regularly. I talked to the UGRR touring leader this evening. They are now in Falmouth KY. I think you are gaining on em! Marjorie Holderer

Joe said...

Chaz-O-Matic,

You are doing awesome. You are a great inspiration to me. The next one we are doing together. Deal?

Play it smart & don't get discourged. Indiana & Ohio(remember those boring car trips?) are very FLAT. Love ya Bro.

Praying for a full service bike shop....

In Christ,
Joe

cuzgrace said...

Which tire keeps blowing??? Might have a loose spoke??..Are the tubes made in China? What the heck is going on..you dont look to heavy thats for sure...Love your blog Charlie we look forward to it every day..stay strong and if you see a kid in a tree with a banjo get out of there as soon as possible..Grace told me to just sign this Bill

Unknown said...

Hey Chaz, can't stop reading the blog! ("Where in the world is Charlie Bono?!") Weather is warming here in the north country in anticipation of your arrival. Good luck with the bike - here's hoping you find a bike shop soon. Be safe, stay dry - we have you in our thoughts...

Anonymous said...

Charlie, Darren here

I'm proud of you dude. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime and I'm envious. I've passed this address along to the bicycling crowd here in Oscoda and will share your experiences with everyone I know. Keep peddling and be safe.

Darren Nolff

Anonymous said...

Did you ever hear "Woman's Prison" off of Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose?

Its amazing! Check out the video on youtube!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8SboJLcWfb4