Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Speaking of Nostalgia

I blew out of Larry’s house pretty early this morning for what promised to be a busy, nostalgic day. When all was said and done, it delivered. But there were a few kinks along the way. First thing this morning, Larry and I discussed a good short route to get to Kalamazoo College (otherwise known as “K College”, for those of you who are not familiar with the “Harvard of the Midwest.”) Christa and I fell in love there, graduated from “K”, and harbor some of our best memories from those days over 25 years ago. I wanted to visit the Jim Van Sweeden, who publishes the alumni magazine “Lux Esto”, about putting some excerpts of my blog in the next edition.

My day had a shaky beginning before I even arrived. Riding down Stadium Drive seemed like a good idea until it became clear that the last time it was repaved was in the 1960’s. My rearview mirror fell off right in the middle of the road after hitting a deep pothole. This may not seem like much of an issue to you, since it’s only a 1” by ½” mirror that hooks to your helmet, but when you’ve grown attached to it and rely on it like I have, it was a big deal. I dropped my bike at the side of the road and scrambled in the middle of one of the busiest streets in Kalamazoo, frantically searching for the little contraption. After dodging a few cars and trucks I located it, undamaged, and decided to finish my trip to “K” on the back streets.

Jim had left a message on my cell phone just a few minutes before I arrived. After briefly interrupting an old friend who works there, Lori Thompson I checked in with Jim. He’s a cyclist too, and could relate pretty well to my stories and escapades. Hopefully the “Lux Esto” can find some room to squeeze in some of my wittier writings (were there any, yet?) After taking the obligatory photo with Stetson Chapel in the background, I had a fruit slushie with BJ Cherup, one of my son’s buddies from Gaylord. Even though he looks a little worn and rough in the attached picture, he was doing pretty dang good for a guy facing imminent final exams. After that, it was time to buy a new tube and start heading for Grand Rapids.

I stopped for lunch at the local diner in Martin on the way. It was right out of the 1960’s, complete with homemade raspberry and cherry sodas, barbeque sandwich, and some locals who saved my rear. The bridge a few miles north was closed for construction, and they gave me alternate directions which ran right past Gun Lake. If it wasn’t for those new directions I might still be cycling. Thanks, guys.

I used to work in Grand Rapids for Blue Care Network, and it busted my heart right open to see people I hadn’t seen for 2 ½ years. They raised over $200 for the scholarship fund, most of it in cash, and wanted to give it to me right there, as you can see in the attached picture. Of course I asked them to mail it instead, knowing my propensity for losing things. That’s why I married an organized respectable woman like Christa, and asked the Clip Joint girls to be my fundraisers. I’d say knowing your limitations is a virtue, not an admission of incompetence.

Afterward one of my ex-coworkers, Beth Mehall and her husband Ed, invited me to spend the night and put together a little hoo-haa at her house. It was great catching up with everyone, and sharing stories about my adventure, our pasts and hopes for the future. Even though it’s been a while since we’ve seen each other, our feelings couldn’t be stronger. I’d like to think that once you build close ties and friendships, the bonds never break. I felt like my heart was busting open, it was so great to see everyone.

I’m watching Sports Center on ESPN this morning with Ed and his son Joey, who let me spend the night in his room. I really liked all of the Spiderman paraphernalia (too bad Thomas had to go to school already – stinks to be you). It reminds me of my room at home.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, I think I will be the first one to post today! Sorry Papa Joe and Lady Di!! Charlie, you are doing so awesome...Im very proud of you! You sure are motivating me to get off my office chair and get back to working out!!! Hope your travels through the rest of MI are as eventful and memorable as the past month have been! Stay safe! Gina

Anonymous said...

I must be a slow reader, Dad asked to check the blog and while I was reading the pictures popped in then I got to the bottom, wow no one had posted and then I hit comments and guess Gina was a little faster. Oh,how I remember our weekend trips to "K" when you were in college there and the day we met Christa, so many memories and now you are adding to them everyday. Love ya Charlie, MOM

Anonymous said...

Well - I'm a close 2nd today! (Congrats on #1 Gina!) Another great day Chaz! Sounds like you had a nice trip down memory lane at K and it's always great to see old friends. I think your passing by mine and Augusta's old stomping grounds today (MSU)! Take it all in for me.
Love you brother!
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Make that 3rd place - Mom grabbed 2nd from at the last minute!

Cathy

Lady Di said...

dammit, WHAT THE HELL TIME DO YOU GUYS GET UP TO READ THIS POST, way to change the priority of this blog away from charlie's trip!!!! sorry Charlie, we still love ya, now I have to go read the blog!!!!
Lady Di

Lady Di said...

by the way my time doesn't post accurate cause it is really 10:21
Lady Di

Anonymous said...

"K" College, Mom & I made many a trip there and your sibs always wanted to have a Don Ho frosty at Zeeb Rd. exit on I-94. Okay I was up twice this early morn but went back to bed from my 2:30 Am & 5:00 AM get ups so I slept in this morning and was making breakfast for Mom & I when she shouted " Charlie just posted his blog while i was veiwing it. Congrats Gina, You are #1 today but the real #1 is cycling to raise money for a worthy cause. Of course he is fufilling one of his always wanted to do adventures also. Charlie, stay safe, enjoy the people and scenery, and God Speed. Love, Dad

Lady Di said...

Good recovery papa joe, I forgot that school teachers everywhere and families across the nation are checkin this blog so I promise no more "D" words of "H" words, apologies...apologies to the Rosco gang and the GHS followers....Keep up the great work Charlie...and I know that you can see the water tower with Herr Gessler welcoming all to "the alpine village" from where ever you are...the finish line is in site
it is a little slippery because of the ice and snow still hanging on up here in the "great white north" so be watchful
Lady Di

Anonymous said...

Good to hear about great memories.I hope your weather has been as good as your fun times with old friends.Can't wait for monday. Hope it doesn't snow....remember that stuff was here when you left .Tonight is scholarship night. Kyle's will go to some deserving football player who will put it to good use in the fall.

See you monday!

Sue

Anonymous said...

I think the post times are wacky because i was still snoozin' at
6:51 a.m.! Okay - we'll all call a truce - no more racing to post a comment on Chaz's blog. Guess that means I have to get a
life - ha! Happy Cycling Chaz!
Love - Cathy

p.s. I hope Lady Di is joking about the ice and snow hanging on - that reminds me of my days in Minneeesotah (trying to capture that Norwegian accent - ya, you betcha!)

Lady Di said...

darn-it Cathy...
I was still snoozin at 6:51 also...and I am really strugglin with "the get a life part"
cause ya know, I am a WWW junkie since my unemployment...
can't wait to hear who the scholarsxhip is awarded to Sue,
I know who ever the receipient is, he will feel extremely fortunate and humble to have been awarded the scholarship, God Bless you and your family, on a night that must be painful yet rewarding.
God Bless Charlie as well.
Lady Di

Claire said...

Charlie,
Congrats on making it to Michigan. Hey brother - I was thinking of your love for super guys like Spiderman and the Hulk - but you are definately a super guy too! We just need to come up with a spiffy name and costume! (I know you would love that!) Enjoy your last week of riding and stay safe bro!
Love ya,
Claire Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz-
I remembered our armadillo conversation from our bike ride.
Now I know...
Armadillos are a mammal, they're nocturnal and they feed mostly on ants, termites and other insects. Their rapid expansion is because they have no natural predators. It is speculated that the northern expansion of the armadillo will continue until the species reaches as far north as Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and all points southward on the East Coast of the United States. Further northward and westward expansion will probably be limited by the armadillo's inability to tolerate especially harsh winters, due to having little body fat to protect it from the cold.

There you have it - useless armadillo information!

Cathy

CSNews said...

Charlie,

I am just glad you did not meet me in Lansing, wearing that shirt!