Monday, May 7, 2007

Three States in a Day!




It’s 12:30 on Monday, May 7th and I am just writing my blog for yesterday’s events. Usually I write in the evening, but yesterday was a pretty long day and I was just too tired last night. Yesterday I cycled in three states, although admittedly 99.9% was through Kentucky. I started the morning just across the state line in Tennessee, so I cycled there for 5 minutes. I ended the evening in Cave-in-Rock, Illinois, where I cycled for 5 minutes. And I biked for 7 hours right through the state of Kentucky! Yikes! It was my longest day of cycling in a while (92 miles to be exact) but it felt goooood. Oh, yeah.

But first things, first. Andrea’s prom was Saturday and Christa sent me some pictures so I could see what I was missing. Now you can see them, too. She’s a grown woman and looking pretty fine, if I do say so myself. I couldn’t be prouder, and am pleased as punch that she’s finishing high school and starting at Northern Michigan University this fall. That means Christa and I will be empty nester’s; maybe we can get a tandem bike for another adventure, right honey ;^)

Adam just got back home from Michigan Tech, and I am happy he will be there to do all of the manly chores before I get back home. Thanks, Eggman!

The ride was pretty uneventful for such a long one. I saw the same motorcycle group about five times throughout the day. They were as surprised as I was each time we passed each other. I also passed over the Cumberland River and thought how nice a houseboat vacation would feel right about now. I was about to camp out in Tulo, KY at the end of the day, when a fellow mowing his lawn told me that I was only 8 miles from Cave-in-Rock, IL, my targeted destination. So I sucked it up, and kicked it in for the final stretch. I’m glad I did.

In order to get there you have to take a ferry across the Ohio River into Illinois. Cave-in-Rock is named after a natural cave carved in the bank of the river, big enough for 8 semi-trucks (or so I’m told.) As I was waiting for the ferry I met Steve Doty and his daughter Sierra, who were searching for sea shells. Sierra found some, but later admitted she just tricked me. Here I am with them, as well as his son Gage and wife Lori. Steve was born in Cave-in-Rock, where his parents owned the golf course for a while. He told me some cool stories about the town, which is no more than a few hundred people. The breakfast crowd confirmed once again, no town has a finer personality.

By the time I got settled in and made my nightly phone call home, I had to set up my tent in the dark. Little did I realize it was on a hill, until I kept rolling to one side the rest of the night. At least it was my cushy side, so I still slept pretty good.

Please write comments; I love reading them just as much a I hope you like reading my journal. Just like the Doobie Brothers would say; "It keeps me running, yeah, it keeps me running!"

Also, don't forget that I would really appreciate any contribution you'd make to the Kyle Casey Memorial Scholarship Fund. Like I said before, it may help a youth achieve their life goal, and that's what this is all about.

12 comments:

Joe said...

In the Home Stretch Spaz-O-Matic !!

It's getting really nice here in Michigan. Should be perfect for your arrival. Sounds like you've gotten through most the tough hills. Did u find a bike shop?

Stay safe (and hydrated)

Keep your ears open for banjo's.....

Griz-O-Matic.

Lady Di said...

I believe if you looked up Charlie Bono in the "Bono-Bono" dictionary you would find:
Charlie Bono=inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chaz -
You da man! Nice picture of Andrea - my they do grow up fast! And we all can't wait for the graduation party!
Keep pedaling - you're getting close!
Love ya' brother!

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hi son, O.K. I'm confused that you are in IL. I guess I can't figure out when you will be getting in to Van Wert OH.? It's so great you are meeting such nice people on your journey. Are you headed towards Indinappolis IN.? anyway, you are our cycling hero. Andrea looks great and it's great that Adam is doing your chores but, Christa is holding down the homefront ...my Kudos to Christa!! Keep cycling and enjoy the sites ut find a bike shop and rejuvenate your ride. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey, Charlie. We are proud of you! I can't imagine having the guts and strenght to do something like this. Jennifer and Bart were here with us in St. Louis last Mon night, en route to Phoenix. We were talking about you, and how we admired you for doing this, the importance of living for today because life is short, etc etc.

We will send a donation off soon.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you for good weather, meeting more good folks, good tires, etc. Happy Trails - Love, Abby, Bob and Alec.

cuzgrace said...

Hey Charlie,
Well you are coming into the home strech..I think??
You have motivated me to start my 5 mile a day walk, started today..I wonder how long it would take me to walk from St.Clair Shores Mi. to Marco Island Fl..haha
I think I will just root you on and walk around here..
Stay Safe
Grace

Anonymous said...

Go Charlie! You will have memories for the rest of your life, and I am sure people will be talking about you for along time especially Gaylord Folks, How could we ever forget such an inspiration. YOU and your family are amazing, you all seem to accomplish whatever you set out to do. I have to say I am also enjoying more of life, and happy to say you are my inspiration. Keep on peddling, looking forward to seeing you home soon. The Cleaning Lady & Family....

Unknown said...

Hey Mr. Bono,

Looks like you're right on pace! I've been keeping up on your blog. It's part of my morning routine (making every morning that much better).

If you are planning to come through Ann Arbor, shoot me an email. If you need either a place to stay, a shower, or a laundry room (or any combination of the above) I'd be happy to put you up! There are also plenty of bike shops around ( I know you keep saying your tires are in need of repair).

If it works out, I'd be glad to help, if not, happy trails!

- Tim Murphy

t.james.murphy@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, Hey Charlie, Mom is back. I was a little under the weather yesterday. Just getting old and things happen a little harder. But nothing like your aches and pains. Keep on pedaling and you'll make it all the way to gaylord. I think of you often and pray that you are safe. Love MOM

Anonymous said...

Your a trooper, and very blessed with such a great family, I love reading their comments to you. The daily heads-up from Mom & Dad are the greatest.
Yes, Andrea is a beauty ! Adam is you great wonder,& best buddy!
And, Christa is your wonderful life partner, through thick and thin, (Life is Good!) Travel safe, Find a bike shop, and a supersize, all you can eat place.
Love Ya, Dawn

Anonymous said...

charlie: this is such an incredible thing. People from everywhere are hooked on your daily musings. what an inspiration you are, to all of us! sign me: another person addicted to the cba blog

32 degrees said...

yo chaz. two great kids you have there !!! hope ours turn out as well as them ... AND, bonus they are now both gonna be YOOPERS !! gotta love that UP !! NMU was my alma mater too.